Staining Redwood Walls

Ok...I just finished sanding my redwood walls (previously stained, I think - or "washed" with a lighter color)...anyway, now I want to restain it. Originally I was going light - like, white. But now I am considering something else - like dark (red or something bold). In case I end up hating it...is there a reversal process to lighten it. Would I ever be able to "whitewash" (or stain) it again?

An oil finish should bring out a reddish brown color in redwood. You can always wash it again with a light color. You just performed the reversal process.
-j