Staining rag?

Do I need to use any special kind of rag to apply stain - like a special lint-free rag? Or can I just use an old t-shirt?

Thanks

Reply to
Corey

Old cotton t-shirts work great.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Old *white* cotton tee-shirts are just fine. Beware of anything colored: the solvents in the stain may leach dye out of the fabric.

Doug Miller

I've never had much luck with T shirts. They're a cheap short-staple cotton and they wear very quickly. I prefer either good shirts or good boxer shorts - long-staple Egyptian cotton.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I use rags I buy in a bundle at BJ's. They work great. I was initially concerned that they were red, but they have never bled. However, if I had old T-shirts, I would probably use them first.

Reply to
toller

While we're talking about staining and rags. FWIW this past week my son was scheduled to meet with his board for his annual evaluation. Seems the president of the board postponed the meeting because her daughter's house had just burned down as a result of some rags that were used for staining. Fortunately, the kids toys were saved.

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

Well, according to Homer Formby in his 70's era 30-minute commercials (before the word "infomercial" was invented) you should use your SWMBO's old panty hose. But I've always used old cotton socks, tshirts, towels, etc. whatever I could get a hold of. I'm too cheap to buy rags unless there's no alternative. :-)

Reply to
wch

I'm still using up my daughter's diapers and burp rags. Just started on an old flannel sheet.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

You've got to be kidding! Oh, you used cloth diapers.... Actually I would think diapers would carry too much stain to be very good; but we used disposable so I don't know.

Reply to
toller

There's at least one benefit to concrete shop floors. I spread rags over the floor to dry.

Reply to
Phisherman

"toller" wrote in news:EqaRd.8072$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

They work pretty well, actually. By the time they have been washed 4000 times, there's very little lint left.

When my sisters cleaned out the closets after our mom passed away, they brought me 4 large bags of dish cloths, sheets, diapers, whatever, washed as clean as could be, for shop use. Many had come from _her_ mom's place. It's nice to be able to pad shellac using linen...

Maybe in 5 years, I'll need to buy rags.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:49:26 -0600, the inscrutable Australopithecus scobis spake:

Would that make your stain color "baby-shit brindle", Scoobie?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You have to use panties that came off a wimminz of an appropriate color for the job. Blonde's panties for light colored stains and pickling work, brunette's panties for darker walnut-like stains, redhead's panties for doing cherry or red oak type stains. If she's shaved or dyed, and you can't tell the hair color, then you can also substitute skin color. Caucasian for light stains, African-American for walnut, or Native American, Latina, or maybe Asian for the more reddish in between shades. Also, if you plan to do a lot of staining of differnet colors, tell SWMBO you're going to have to start assembling a harem. If you don't have a harem, you'll have to go looking for these wimminz out in public somewhere, and tell them you need to stain their panties.

Isn't this in the Flexner book?

Reply to
Silvan

LMAO... that may work but round here all the wiminz get there panties from omar the tent maker. ie: they buy em by the YARD instead of the pair. so my guess is i can only use em for large staining projects? eh???

skeez

Reply to
skeezics

Ugh. Don't I know it. But yes, yes indeed, these are suitable for large projects, like when you're staining your siding, or applying green dye to your lawn.

Reply to
Silvan

hmmmmmm........... gonna be doin the lawn in just a few weeks !! maybe i should be goin down the boolavard tonight eh? maybe pick up a heffer or 2? LOL..

skeez

Reply to
skeezics