Staining Pine

I am in the process of staining a pine baseboard to match what is there. It is a rather dark color . This may take the rest of my life.

Is there some trick to get the stain the build up quicker? I did pre-treat the wood .

Thanks in advance

Bill

Reply to
Bill

One could simply say use a darker stain.

Another trick is to not sand to too high of a grit. Sanded to 150 will stain much darker than sanded to 320. You can always add a top coat and sand that flat later.

Finally, Pine will usually yellow somewhat over time from exposure to sun, this can make thing slook significantly darker. A day or two in the sun will speed that along. However, some pine whites out too so you have to be careful with the sun and test it first.

BW

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Use a gel stain or a stain/finish combo. There's a limit to how many pigment particles can stick to a surface (or angels and pins) unless the pigment is in a curing vehicle.

Reply to
George

What BW said, and/or add dye to the top coats.

Dave

Bill wrote:

Reply to
David

Pine is notorious for absorbing stain quickly and absorbing it unevenly.

If you want a dark and even stain, I would allow the current concoction to dry thoroughly and then seal it with a couple of coats of three pound cut blonde shellac.

My guess is that you have been using either a pigment stain or a combination pigment and dye stain, such as Minwax.

Once the current job is sealed with the shellac, I would apply a dye stain. If you have the ability to spray, it will go on more quickly and more evenly but the same finish can be achieved with a careful brush.

Dye stains allow you much more control over the color and degree of opacity.

Check out Jeff Jewitt's website.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson

I am using a Minwax Gel Stain 'cause it seemed to match at the time.

Thanks for the tips.

Reply to
Bill