staining hardwoods

work for a company that installs custom cabinets and moldings. Almost everything we do is paint grade, MDF and poplar. The other day it was raining I was stopped from picking up some maple 1 x by my shop Forman. He stated that if the wood got wet it would not be any good for staining. I have never heard this before. Is there any truth to this. He is basing this off of a previous mantel that had gotten wet and had to be removed because the staining didn't come out right. I don't know who stained it but my guess is that the owner did and had no idea what he was doing. thanks. snipped-for-privacy@aol.com
Mark wrote:

Will have to make sure it's dry and <properly> sanded prior to finishing is all...of course, if one allows other contaminants, it can get stained, but just a little rain water should cause no problem other than requiring a complete resanding.

pretty much true. if it gets rained on, you'll have to get it dry, then sand it again to get it to stain nicely.

Soft maple, especially the heartwood, is high in extractives, and has a tendency to form rings around the water spots.