Staining

I'm going to stain some trim work, but it's a mix of red oak & pine.I don't want to make it too dark, a light pecan color would be good I've tried a few test but as you can imagine the red oak looks great but the cathedrals in the grain become very pronounced , while the pine looks very plain next to it. Any ideas on what I could use to blend them together?
Thx, Chris
Chris wrote:

Wash coat of shellac before staining to seal grain.
There's an article in the last FWW on staining pine w/ tips...

Paint?
Try putting on a spit coat of shellac to act as a sealer. You can also wipe it down with mineral spirits first, then stain. That keeps the more porous areas from absorbing as much. Will it blend oak and pine? I don't know as they are much different.
You can also look into dyes. I don't have any experience with them myself, but I've heard of using them for matching different woods. Others will know better.
Chris wrote:

Even if you suceed in getting them the same color, red oak is never going to look like pine. Or vice versa.
--

dadiOH
"Chris" wrote in message

don't
IME, and without any restoration experience under your belt, you basically you have three choices: paint, use a _dark_ stain (gel preferably), or use the same kind of wood throughout.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/8/07