stain problems

Hi everyone,

my very first staining excercise is, to put it mildly, not a success. I am staining a dresser made from maple veneer plywood with solid maple edging. I am using Behr water-based stain (and planning to finish it with water based Varathane). Here's the problem: in couple of spots, there were drips that I tried to fix by removing the stain from that spot and restaining it again (using Windex, as suggested by the instructions on the stain can). Windex did a good job removing the drips but there's also a much larger bold spot in the area where the drip used to be. I have tried staining that spot again and am not having much luck making it even with the rest of the panel. In another spot, there's a spot that I initially missed where there's too much stain and I can not get it off with Windex. Could anyone please volonteer tips or tricks on how to deal with the situation. Needless to say, the trouble spots are on the most visible outside panels of the dresser. All the inside panels that will only be visible when you pull out all the drawers, are perfect, of course. Thanks in adavnce Vlad

Reply to
Vlad