Stain Keeps Weeping from Red Oak Table Top

I'm making a 40" by 60" table top made from red oak. After staining it with a oil stain the stain keeps weeping back out of the oak. I keep wiping it, but it still keeps coming out. This has been going on for over a week. The oak is below a 6% moisture content. Is there a cure for this?

Reply to
silver_18038

  1. Time

  1. Don't stain

  2. Don't use red oak (it's a sponge)
Reply to
dadiOH

It must be your stain. I would use thinner to clean off the excess, sand again, and choose another brand stain. Good brands are Bartley's, General Finishes, and Zar.

Reply to
Leon

Been there, done that.

Red oak is porous. If you blow on the end of it, air will come out the other end.

I would guess you liberally applied the stain with a brush and then wiped the surface. If that's the case, I would guess that the thin stain soaked into the pores and is now bleeding out. I did that one time and the stain "freckled" on the wood. I threw the wood away. If the scenario I described is true, wipe the stain thinly on to the wood next time and don't let it puddle. You might try a jell stain. I wiped a water stain on red oak another time with good luck. I think I remember some one suggesting a thin shellac sealer on the wood prior to staining the wood. I've never tried it though.

I now use white oak if I want oak, it is not porous like the red oak.

I don't know how to salvage the top you've made. I would wipe it daily. hoping the entrapped stain dries and quits bleeding out. Good luck. :-)

Reply to
Lowell Holmes