Stain for Oak ply 7 wood

I am building a DVD/VHS/CD cabinet from a plan I got a year or so ago out of Wood Magazine. The wood is 3/4" Oak ply and boards. I would like to keep the grain on the plywood and boards from being so noticeable. I would like it to be a dark Cherry color when finished. I was thinking of using a sanding sealer and dark shellac. After lightly sanding using some Mylands wax or spraying poly on. What stain and finish do you all recommend? I know nothing about putting on a good looking finish. Thank you all for your suggestions. I enjoy the help I get from this NG. If only we could permanently lock out all the perverts.

Reply to
Tom

Go to your library and get a copy of "Understanding Wood Finishing" by Bob Flexner. He has some good things there on oak. I liked the book so much I bought my own copy on Amazon.

Reply to
Dick Snyder

Sorry, I missed the OP, so this is to him:

I just finished an oak end-table with beech leg posts: solid oak frame and drawer front, veneer sides. The problem was to find a stain that would match all equally well. It turned out to be Minwax "colonial maple". Looks great. I had gone the oak stain route, and that was very different on each type of wood/grain.

Also, I have easily made my own stains by stirring up some ordinary artist's paint with pure turpentine. You can mix and match any colour you want. Wipe on and wipe off, or first leave to soak in for a bit. the point here is that you can get the [cherry] colour you want.

Either way, practice on some scrap first.

Reply to
Guess who