Stain before glue-up?

Want to make an edge for a bar top by sandwiching a thin unstained piece of poplar between 2 stained pieces of poplar. Any problem with staining the faces of 2 of the poplar before edge gluing all 3 together?
Thanks Mike B
-
nevems2 wrote:

No.
--
dadiOH

Not a problem except how will you smooth the edges after glue up and not remove the stain in the process?
My thougts exactly. Why not splurge and go with Maple sandwiched between Walnut or Mohagany or sumthin'
BW

Just one caution... make sure the different woods have the grain running in the same direction. Just a thought, of course... it's not like I ran a couple of tops through the planer this weekend and discovered that one or the other tore out no matter what I did, or anything... *dammit*
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam