Stage construction.

Shortly I may be asked to build a semi/permanent theatrical stage inside a church. This particular construction has some unique problems/challenges.
1. The building is "heritage listed" which means whatever we do has to 'touch lightly' on the building structure. 2. The floor is polished hardwood. 3. The stage must not creak 4. It is essentially a platform 900 (3ft ) high, 5.8m (19ft) wide by 4.2m (13 ft) long 5. It will be attached on the long side to an existing stage/alcove 6. Set construction crews being what they are, it may be necessary to replace the (ply?) flooring on the top of the stage every five or six years.
I was thinking about laying down a ply floor on top of the original floor, but not fastened to it, with felt underlay between.then ataching the posts with triple grips to the ply. - I don't know if "triple grips" is a universal term but this is something like what I mean http://www.htp.com.sg/page2.html
Any suggestions?
Mekon

I would suggest you post your question to rec.arts.theatre.stagecraft, or RATS. They handle a number of similar inquiries and can give you practical advice from a theatrical perspective, which is often surprisingly different from an everyday perspective.
Hope this helps,
John

RATS.
advice
an
I was going to do both so as to get different views.
Mekon
Mekon spaketh...

Sounds like straight carpentry. Is a permit required? Will there be lights, floor outlets? I have never built a stage, but I would think the floor would need to be sound deadened (no clomping sounds). Ask during service if there are any carpenters who would volunteer an afternoon.
Why is it semi-permanent?
--
McQualude

No
Not coming through the stage

Hmm... Maybe we should plan a couple for practicals,

if
The church has only two memebrs left alive.

Because some mad director will come along and have a brilliant idea for reshaping everything!

Thanks all
Mekon

Are either of them carpenters? <g> Sorry if this sounds snide, but are they just going to entertain each other? One definition of a church is a building for Christian worship, but most definitions include the people who attend service. Forgive my insatiable curiosity, I just can't help but wonder why a church of 2 people are building a stage.
--
McQualude

they
who
They are not. My theatre group hopes to take over the building and convert this art deco church into a theatre. I try hard not to enquire too deeply into the machinations of the church but it seems that they take turns in preaching to one another. playing the organ and stuff. The collection plate goes around and it is always the same amount each Sunday. Not enough to pay the utilities.
Mekon
pixelated:

Where's MERE when you need her? <g>
RebelYowl was our resident prop(wo)man for years.
------------------------------------------------------------ California's 4 Seasons: Fire, Flood, Drought, & Earthquake -------------------------------------- http://www.diversify.com NoteSHADES(tm) glare guards

As I am the president of the group, I have already been down that road. What I was looking for was alternate views and ideas.
Mekon