Stacking question..

I am stacking about 300-350 bf of oak and want to bet the rec's insight. I wood like to know if I should sticker all the small stuff (6-8" wide) first and put the heavy boards on the top to help in keeping the other boards flat when drying?? Heavy being 8/4 26" wide 11' long.
TIA........Brian
Sounds right - the thick stuff will dry slow, also slower to cup. But someone also once told me it's best to reverse the stack once a year.
I've got a stack of 300+ bf black walnut in the shed. Second time I've done it. First stack didn't check a bit. But it is very damp there, a creek runs right by it. So it probably helps a lot if the humidity is naturally high - get a real slow cure.
tf

first
flat
Doesn't matter. If you want to weight the stack, you'll do it best with a piece of stickered ply and bricks (or other lumber). What does matter is stacking those boards with significant sapwood near the bottom, sapwood side down, and maintaining good sticker registry. Since most sapwood-faced boards are thin, maybe that's where the "advice" originated.
I 5-sticker 100" boards.
These folks have a lot of good information on stacking and stickering. http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us /
Thanks for the advice. About 95% of the wood is QS red oak...Brian
-- www.members.cox.net/bsnikitas

side
No sweat. Note, the QS will take longer to dry.

Thank you guys.......Brian

first
flat

I would stack as far from your house as possible. These things seem to do better if stacked near a road or driveway. Where do you live BTW? Exactly?

After careful consideration, I think that you should send me that pesky 8/4 stuff that's causing the stacking problem.. As a loyal wRECk follower and all around nice guy, I'll make the sacrifice and dispose of it for you, Brain..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing