Stabilizing wood blocks

I bought another block of Paduk at Rocklers today, and it just had the ends covered in wax. Just wondering how long to let it just sit to slowly dry out and stabilize? Can't remember if I asked this question before, so apologize if this is a repeat. Thanks.
--
Paul O.

On 8/2/2011 2:33 AM, Paul wrote:

Rule of thumb, 1 year per inch of thickness.
Paul O.
"Leon" <lcb11211@swbelldotnet> wrote in message
On 8/2/2011 9:16 AM, Paul wrote:

To tell you the truth, I have never had a problem with removing the wax and turning it.

Ask your local dealer how dry those particular blocks are.
BTW, what are you doing with these?
-- Win first, Fight later.
--martial principle of the Samurai

Have drying it in the microwave? That would speed things up considerably. Maybe 30 seconds on high, then 10 minutes or longer outside. Maybe others here have tried it and can give better advice.
On 8/2/2011 2:33 AM, Paul wrote:

Why wouldn't a block of wood purchased at Rockler's already have been kiln dried? It was purposely sold as unseasoned wood? Quite possible I guess if it was specifically for turning; I'm not much of a turner (despite my name) but I know that turning green wood is pretty common. But if you need it to be dry you probably should have bought it that way; I see from your other post that air drying it will take two years... :-)
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
"Steve Turner" < snipped-for-privacy@swtacobell.net.invalid> wrote in message
Paul wrote:

What size blocks, and would another kind of wood work?
--
Gerald Ross

Tis better to light a flame thrower
Paul O.
"Gerald Ross" < snipped-for-privacy@comsouth.net> wrote in message

Not very big. Perhaps you might build yourself a small kiln and greatly reduce the drying time?
http://www.handspiral.com/kiln_vent.htm
If it is still wet, turn it roughly to size. let it dry in a bed of saw dust, then finish turning it. It should be fine, and not check. The saw dust sucks out the moisture but also prevents checking since it equalizes the outer wood. When air drying the outer dries to fast.. if it's a vase make sure you stuff saw dust inside, and change it weekly and rotate it. a couple of weeks and you can finish turn it.
On 8/2/2011 3:33 AM, Paul wrote:

Paul O.