Stabilizing wood blocks

I bought another block of Paduk at Rocklers today, and it just had the ends covered in wax. Just wondering how long to let it just sit to slowly dry out and stabilize? Can't remember if I asked this question before, so apologize if this is a repeat. Thanks.

Reply to
Paul

Rule of thumb, 1 year per inch of thickness.

Reply to
Leon

Why wouldn't a block of wood purchased at Rockler's already have been kiln dried? It was purposely sold as unseasoned wood? Quite possible I guess if it was specifically for turning; I'm not much of a turner (despite my name) but I know that turning green wood is pretty common. But if you need it to be dry you probably should have bought it that way; I see from your other post that air drying it will take two years... :-)

Reply to
Steve Turner

Reply to
tiredofspam

To tell you the truth, I have never had a problem with removing the wax and turning it.

Reply to
Leon

What size blocks, and would another kind of wood work?

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Not very big. Perhaps you might build yourself a small kiln and greatly reduce the drying time?

Dave

Ask your local dealer how dry those particular blocks are.

BTW, what are you doing with these?

-- Win first, Fight later.

--martial principle of the Samurai

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Have drying it in the microwave? That would speed things up considerably. Maybe 30 seconds on high, then 10 minutes or longer outside. Maybe others here have tried it and can give better advice.

Reply to
aquaboy