Squirrel proof bird feeder

I made a modification to my bird feeder to make it squirrel proof . If it works well, I'll make several new ones. In a normal bird feeder there are two pieces of glass that rest in slots on either side of the feeder. The glass rests in the slot about 3/8 ths inch or so above the floor leaving a horizontal slot which allows the seed to come out onto the floor. In the floor of this horizontal slot in a straight line, I drove a series of one inch nails about

3/16 inch apart and 3/8th inch high just far apart enough to let the seed escape but nor wide enough to let the squirrel get his hand and fingers through. I then replaced the glass so that the bottom of the glass rests on the top of the nails about a half inch above the floor. This seems to work for the squirrels. At least it slows them down almost to a stop. I saw one sitting on the floor of the feeder for several hours taking out one seed at a time which I can tolerate, I guess. I'm not sure I won the battle, yet. This probably isn't an original idea but it is for me.

BJ

Reply to
BJ

Rick Samuel

BB gun, BBQ'd squirrel. Everybody wins but the tree rat. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave in fairfax

I've a platform bird feeder on a wood pole. I've a 10" water pipe sitting upright with a gap on the end for the seed to come out on the platform. Pretty easy access for squirrels. I decided to do something other than shoo them off. I placed a plastic planter, the kind that comes with a new plant from a Home Depot or such, upside down underneath the platform.

It was entertaining to watch the first squirrel try to hop around it from the pole to the platform but it is just out of reach.

I fully expect to see them eventually figure it out and try something new. Probably chew through the plastic planter. They are ingenious fellows.

Thunder

Reply to
Rolling Thunder

Off topic a bit, but one place I lived there was a woodpecker that had it in for squirrels for some reason and a cat that though a squirrel was a tasty snack. So when a new squirrel showed up at the bird feeder, the cat would sit under the bird feeder looking hungrily at the squirrel, and after a while the woodpecker would dive-bomb the squirrel right down into the cat's lap.

Unfortunately you can't teach that kind of teamwork.

Reply to
J. Clarke

In the wintertime, one of the _big_ 'super soaker' squirt-guns, makes for great sport. Particularly when you load it with 4 parts water, one part rubbing alcohol, and maybe a dollop of liquid dish detergent (make sure it _is_ a 'detergent' concoction, not 'liquid soap')

Between the alcohol and the detergent, their fur doesn't offer much protection against getting _wet_.

A truly effective anti-squirrel design consists simply of a _large_ disk (like

24"-30" diameter) with a smooth half-round on the outer edge, and 12-18" of rigid tubing (EMT, PVC, or even a hollow wooden dowel) *firmly* attached to the bottom side of it -- with a matching hole in the disk itself. This assembly just drops over the line that holds up the feeder. Anything reasonably rigid, and impervious works for the disk -- sheet-metal or plastic is ideal, but wood -- with a good surface-sealer on it, so the livestock cant sink claws into it, even at the outer edge -- works almost as well.

As the squirrel attempts to go out to the edge of the disk, obviously that side of the disk tilts down, and the conduit/PVC causes the feeder to swing _away_ from the 'down' edge of the disk.

For added entertainment value, you _grease_ the outer several inches of the disk. When it's above freezing, add a kids wading pool, with several inches of water, below the feeder -- detergent optional. You'll get a _real_ education in what swearing ins 'squirrel' sounds like.

The one other requirement is 'proper placement' of the feeder. Has to be far enough away from _anything_ so that critters cannot *jump* from somewhere and catch the feeder.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

You are right. I would lay my bets with the squirrel. I hung a feeder up from the eave of my house which is over some sliding glass doors. They couldn't climb up the glass doors and jump over to the feeders but they figured out a way. They would get a running start and hit the glass about half way up and spring over to the feeder like a bank shot, an amazing feat. It's a world wide conspiracy.

BJ

Reply to
BJ

The feeder I saw that worked was one that the feeder was inside a cage. The bars are far apart enough for the birds to enter, but too close together to allow a squirrel. And the food is too far for the squirrel to reach.

I've seen several "squirrel proof" feeders that are not at all squirrel proof.

Reply to
Phisherman

"BJ" wrote in news:LnTFc.4379$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

See

Reply to
Han

Closest thing to perfection I've seen is a spring loaded sliding door that when the heavier squirrel stood on the perch, the outside tube would slide down in front of the small round openings in the feeder. When a lighter bird perched, not enough weight to move it so they could feed. Presumably any birds in need of weight watchers would have trouble :-)

Reply to
Rossco in Oshawa

Simple idea for a pole mounted feeder that is out of range for a normal squirrel to jump on.

I use a piece of copper plumbing pipe as the pole, so it's a bit hard to climb. (It also weathers to a nice patina) Then I take three LARGE galvanized food cans (like green beans or white potatos), and cut one end out of each. On two, I cut tabs out of the top lid to mount into the other cans. I join the three together using pop rivets to make a long cylinder open in the inside, except for the top can lid. Then, I cut a hole in the center of the lid of the top can that is just the diameter of the pole. I place this cylinder on the pole and position it just a few inches below the bird feeder. Some screws through the pole will pin it and allow it to wobble.

Squirrels will climb the pole and go inside the cylinder, only to be trapped from going higher. There's nothing for them to chew up. The diameter of the cylinder is too large for them to grip on the outside, so they can't climb it. I peeled the labels and painted the cans to look nicer. No grey squirrel yet has defeated this system in over 10 years on two of our feeders.

However, the flying squirrels at night glide in from perches on high and snack until they can fly no more.They are so cute, it's not worth another defense.

Reply to
OldSalemWood

I won, but it took about 3 months of trial and error. I hung the feeder from approx 4 feet of greased wire. About halfway down, I had a

1.5 inch diameter wooden ball fixed. Freely pivoting on top of the ball, was a metal disk about 12 inches in diameter (rescued from an old light fitting in the dumpster) They never solved it, but it provided a lot of entertainment watching them.
Reply to
Barry Lennox

See

Doug Miller

Your system sounds like a good idea. I think I will try my luck at making one as you describe only I think I will use sheet aluminum flashing instead of cans unless you think I should stick to cans. I can pop rivet it together into the cylinder. An excellent idea.

Thanks!! Bill

Reply to
BJ

I have found the ultimate bird feeder defense against squirrels. It cost me about $5 a pop and I use it once every two years for about 1 week.

I go to the local nature center and rent a squirrel trap for $5 per week. I put it near the bird feeders. In about a weeks time I catch anyhwere from 2-5 squirrels. I relocate these to the local park where there is plenty of water ( a river runs nearby), trees and food. It usually brings the population of squirrels, around my house to a managable level. It usually takes about 2 years to get the population back up to the point where I need to repeat the process.

JAW

BJ wrote:

Reply to
JAW

I accomplished the same by using a piece of 3/8 inch hardware cloth to cover the tray. It is hinged on the outside by two loose staples so it can be flipped up for cleaning the tray.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

$5 a pop and I use it once every two

near the bird feeders. In about a

where there is plenty of water ( a

around my house to a managable level.

need to repeat the process.

And if everyone did this, what do you think would happen to the population in the park? As it is, every animal is territorial, and you'd be upsetting nature's balance again.

You don't need to do that at all. We live in the county, and I have a solution that works all the time, and costs less than $5 if I do one for all my neighbours.

Take a piece of 6" diameter stovepipe tin [unbent], about 12" long. Use tinsnips [borrow to keep under $5 if you don't have any] to cut three tabs that will be bent over and drilled to accept screws. Bend the tin into the tube shape around the support pole if already there; it snaps into place. Use the tabs to fasten with screws to the base of the feeder.

You'll have fun you couldn't pay for watching the squirrel trying to get up the pole and past the tin to the feeder. Hint; A good strong steel pole to support the feeder also is better than a wooden one as a further deterrent. It must also obviously be far enough from trees and overhanging wires to avoid him jumping directly onto the top of the feeder.

Don't forget to feed the squirrels on the ground.

Bill.

Reply to
Bill Rogers

I have done this on one of two pole mounted bird feeders. I cut a disk out of pressure treated plywood (Ob. woodworking) and nailed aluminum flashing around it to form the cylinder. Drilled a hole just big enough for the pole in the center of the disk and slid it down over the galvanized metal pole that holds the feeder. Same result, no squirrles on the feeder.

Now, my other feeder is mounted on a 4X4 post, so I had to make a large umbrella shaped piece out of flashing that I then nailed to the post under the feeder. This kept the squirrles out quite well, but was defeated by the local racoon. My wife found him sitting in the platform feeder one morning. The addition of flashing, cladding the post, under the "umbrella" so mister racoon can't get a good foothold seems to have solved that.

Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

Reply to
ranck

I use cheap Wal-Mart Tubular feeders, $3.95 I think. I use a rock and string, throw the rock with the string attached, across the highest limb I can reach, that will let the feeder hang away from other limbs.

use the string to pull Stainless Steel Aircraft Wire up and over the limb. Hang the feeder about 5-6 feet above the ground and your home free.

They won't or can't slide down the wire, cuts their little feetys, if they jump from another limb, nothing to hang onto. From the ground, its too hight for most. If they do grab hold of a peg, the feeder twists violently and they can't get a hold. Haven't seen a squirrel on one in

2 years. I do put a scoop of sunflower seeds on the ground daily for the doves and other ground birds, some squirrels show up and eat, but they don't attempt to use the feeders even if I forget to put some on the ground. When the ground seedf is gone, they are gone. I haven't had to replace a feeder in years.

Maybe this will work for some of you that live in the country as I do.

Reply to
Boogeyman