squaring rod--what is?

Hi, folks, I've read a couple of references to a "squaring rod" and how it's "more accurate than any square in my shop" and "you can build one in ten minutes" and stuff like that.
But I can't figure out what it is!
Any tips?
Thanks, ds
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&cat=1,43513,43553&p2585
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks for the link. This shows what I would think of as pinch-sticks. I discovered the book where I found "squaring rod" was written by an Englishman, so maybe there's some cross-Atlantic jargon confusing the issue...
ds
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I think the reference you found is referring to the technique with regard to squaring a carcase frame, for example. I've not heard the term, but seems eminently plausible name/expression...
I'm reminded of my favorite sign I saw in Rochester (UK, not US)...
"Joinery for Purpose"

As opposed to that which occurs by accident? ;-)
Patriarch
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The British empire was always separated by a common language...
--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 09:22:21 -0500, Knothead wrote:

Thank you for that information. I tried to google "roman ruler" apropos a thread a few months ago. Found a gazillion hits on, well, Roman rulers. Augustus, Nero...but nothing on woodworking.
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad scientist com

It's all in the right combination of words, I guess. Just for kick I did the google search:
"roman ruler" woodworking
and found a combination; the first woodworking hit was
http://www.woodworking-forum.com/woodworking/Trouble_measuring_for_miter_cuts_989336.html
which seems to cover it.