squaring rod--what is?

Hi, folks, I've read a couple of references to a "squaring rod" and how it's "more accurate than any square in my shop" and "you can build one in ten minutes" and stuff like that.

But I can't figure out what it is!

Any tips?

Thanks, ds

Reply to
theweeklyamuser

Pat Barber

Thanks for the link. This shows what I would think of as pinch-sticks. I discovered the book where I found "squaring rod" was written by an Englishman, so maybe there's some cross-Atlantic jargon confusing the issue...

ds

Reply to
theweeklyamuser

I think the reference you found is referring to the technique with regard to squaring a carcase frame, for example. I've not heard the term, but seems eminently plausible name/expression...

I'm reminded of my favorite sign I saw in Rochester (UK, not US)...

"Joinery for Purpose"

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Duane Bozarth wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@swko.dot.net:

As opposed to that which occurs by accident? ;-)

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

The British empire was always separated by a common language...

Reply to
WillR

A.K.A "Roman Ruler"

Reply to
Knothead

Thank you for that information. I tried to google "roman ruler" apropos a thread a few months ago. Found a gazillion hits on, well, Roman rulers. Augustus, Nero...but nothing on woodworking.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

It's all in the right combination of words, I guess. Just for kick I did the google search:

"roman ruler" woodworking

and found a combination; the first woodworking hit was

seems to cover it.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram