square in circle?

Page 2 of 2
"David Nebenzahl" wrote:
Dave's Hypothesis states:

Dave's Hypothesis is incorrect.
Basic plane geometry proofs do not allow calculated values to be used in the proof.
For the subject under discusion, the actual value of circumference is an innocent bystander, not a player
Lew .

Once you draw a square in the circle, then you could draw both diagonals the find the center (of course, you probably already know where the center is by the time you've drawn a square!). Use your compass to pick up the measure of the radius, and starting anywhere, scribe 6 consecutive arcs along the boundary of the circle (they are the vertices of a hexagon as I described in my previous post). Choose every other one to obtain the vertices of a triangle.
Bill

"Kerry Montgomery" wrote:

Neither do I.
Lew

the chords for any divisions of a circle "bolt circle.xls, it is here:
http://www.woodwrangler.net
should open directly in excel if you have it installed. I haven't tried it in open office.
basilisk

Get yourself a shashigane (Japanese Carpenter's Square) marked in the shaku/sun system and learn to use it. Unlike American style framing squares, they are marked on the back side for folks that work with logs (circles). They are very handy for marking squares, and other geometric shapes, on the end of a log, or inside a circle, without a lot of fuss.
Len
Kerry Montgomery wrote:

Dunno how a four sided figure would help, but here's a way to inscribe an equilateral triangle using a steel square:
http://chestofbooks.com/home-improvement/woodworking/Constructive-Carpentry/34-To-Lay-Out-Regular-Polygons-With-A-Steel-Square.html

Use bisection to bisect the circle with a line, then bisect the 1st line at a right angle. Draw lines from the points where the two lines intersect the circle (4 pts). Voila! Square in circle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisection
nb

dividing the circle into 3 equal pie sections?

Thanks, I was about to ask notbob that same thing. Kerry

Ask the boatbuilder.
I was jes showing an easy way to make a square inside a circle. For the three angles in a circle, I'd use a hexagon.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexagon
nb