Square - How To?

I'm missing a basic technique. If you have a board that you want to square, but it's too wide to run thru the table saw on the miter gauge, what is the best method for squaring it up? Once square, you can use the fence to cut to size, but getting it square is a puzzlement. Circular saw on a guide? Thx. O.

Reply to
Oregon

Mark

Crosscut sled for the table saw works, circular saw/guide, or router with a guide and some accurate measuring. Most of the time I use the router after the circ saw method on larger pieces.

Reply to
KS

Try reversing the miter gauge.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

I am assuming that, with the use of the words square and miter gauge, you want to make one end of the board exactly 90 degrees too one edge of the board.

As already suggested a cross cut sled is your best bet but you could use a router and a straight edge, though I would be more inclined to go with a circular saw and a straight edge. Then there is saber and hand saws.

It must be one hell of a board. If it is that wide I can only make the further assumption it is also long and weighty. If that is the case a miter gauge wouldn't serve you well anyway. It would be to hard fighting the resistance of the board on the table to keep the board from cocking away from the face of the miter gauge.

If that isn't the case and you are dealing with a short squat board you can just rip it against the fence. It's a fairly safe operation if the board isn't too much longer then it is wide. Approach the process carefully, if the board is too much longer then it is wide it is a prime set up for a nasty kickback.

It's a question of leverage and bearing surface against the fence. Too long and/or to little bearing surface gives the blade a high leverage advantage and you'll be pulling the board out of the back wall, and that is only if you are lucky.

Reply to
Mike G

I ended up using a lot of 8x4 plywood sheet when re-building the kitchen, even though I have a 50" fence system I don't like making cuts like that on a table saw, too much weight, run on/run off rollers etc. I use a 50" Clamp & Tool guide with the ply sheet laying on 2 2x4s and a circular saw, with the blade set truly parallel to the edge of the sole plate, the cut is as clean as off a table saw.

If its a big piece and you need to be really square use Pythagorus and measure it out.

Bernard R

Reply to
Bernard Randall

A miter sled on the table saw, or a router with a piloted bit guided by the factory square edge of another sheet.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

I found this tip that might help..

could make a runner that fits your mitre slot and double-stick tape it to the bottom of the board. Never tried this, but it sure sounds good.

Greg L.

Reply to
Greg Layton

"It depends on length and tools available"

If the board is under six feet in length, make a crosscut sled for the table saw. Single runner version is fine.

If the board is over six feet, use a t-square jig and router with a straight cutting bit.

Here is a jig that would work with a circular saw or router

http://www.woodwork> I'm missing a basic technique. If you have a board that you want to square,

Reply to
Pat Barber

Run it thru on a panel cutting jig