square hole with jigsaw

I tried to cut a square hole with a jigsaw. I flat out failed as the cut had a wavy appearance. I am using nice Bosch jigsaw.
What I did was to drill a hole and then approach the line. I had a aluminum straight edge. I found that the angle I cut had caused the blade to bend.
I have a new piece of stock and I am going to try again. I did decide to ensure the blade will not bend yet I keep thinking I will have the same issues. I searched the groups but did not an exact answer. Just looking for some guidance.
Thanks.
Keith wrote:

forward. Make sure your blade is sharp, and let the saw do the work.

You might try to drill four holes, one in each corner. That way your jig saw cuts are all straight lines, but you then have to square the corners with a file. Joe G
Keith wrote:
> I tried to cut a square hole with a jigsaw. I flat out failed as the > cut had a wavy appearance. I am using nice Bosch jigsaw.
How thick is the material?
Be patient, it is slow work.
Lew
Drill your starter hole and proceed as before but STAY ABOUT 1/16TH AWAY FROM THE LINE. Clean out the scrap with a mallet and sharp chisel. If you have one, use a corner chisel to get nice square corners.

Might be tedious to do. Sounds like a mortising bit will work well, or if that's not practical then using a sharp chisel after removing 90% as you have been doing.
Your technique needs improvement. The answer is simple. If you put sideways pressure on a jigsaw the blade will bend and the cut will not be vertical. You should be applying only downward and forward pressure to the saw. Try sawing on a scrap, both with and without sideways pressure, and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Also. Don't use a fence or guide on a jigsaw as blade can have a drift and not cut parallel to the edge of the sole plate. This will cause sideways forces as you cut. I have found free hand is my best bet.
Art

Art is right. You're putting to much pressure sideways against the steel rule. The blade will bend. Nothing wrong with the saw. Again free hand is best.
Tim

Fri, Mar 23, 2007, 10:54am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Keith) doth sayeth: <snip> I have a new piece of stock and I am going to try again. <snip> Us poor folk, if we don't know how to do something, we practice on scrap. I'm still trying to figure out how you bent the blade.
JOAT Custom philosophizing done. No job too small; must be indoor work, with no heavy lifting.
Let the saw do the work, ease it forward. No side to side motion. Use plenty of lighting to watch the guidelines. Drill a hole in each corner so you can turn the saw. Finer teeth on the blade may help.