Square Hole Punch

Anyone know if these are better at forming the requisite square recesses for square plugs than a hollow chisel (from a mortiser)? I have an old set of hollow chisels that I use for such a task (smack with a mallet).

trying to determine if the cost can be justified here considering that I own a few hollow chisels.

Are they easier to use for this task? Do they produce a better quality hole (no chipping - perfectly square)?

Anyone?

Reply to
brian

This might help:

brian

They are essetially the same thing if you look at them. just use your hollow chisels with a wood mallet to protect the tops.

Reply to
woodchucker

Surely this is the exact purpose for which bevel edged and mortice chisels have evolved over the last hundreds of years?

Reply to
Nick

First off, what kind of mallet? ;~) don't answer that.

OK I'm sure you can continue to bang your mortiser chisels but they were not really designed to be banged. The ones you point to however are designed to be banged. Is one better going to give better results than the other? I seriously doubt it assuming equal quality chisel materials. Either way both styles of chisels need to be honed on the out side to a mirror finish and the cones sharpeners used on the insides

Reply to
Leon