Square foot price

Hello. My mother wants to have 60 ft of handrail refinished to match her floors which are lighter and more attractive than her darker handrail. Her painter gave her a price of $20 per square foot which seems to me a bit expensive but I dont really know.Could anyone tell me if this is indeed within a normal price range, I know its a lot of work but dont want her to be taken for a ride. Thank you so much.
You could probably have a new hand rail installed cheaper. $1200 sounds awfully high.

Jobs like this are usually quoted by the linear foot, not sq foot. Are you sure it was a square foot? Even $20 a linear foot sounds quite high, unless that included removing, stripping, refinishing and reinstalling. But like the previous poster says, for $1200 she could have new rail installed.
I'd get a few more quotes..... Mark L.
Laura O'Brien wrote:

What is the total for the job? As others have pointed out, $20/sqft doesn't make sense.
It might depend on just what the handrails were. If they are just plain handrails you can pick up anywhere, $1200 is silly. If they are intricately carved, curved, and so on, it might be more reasonable.

I am sorry. It is a linear foot price(60 feet long) and she wanted to get it stripped completly and then stained the lighter color and then refinished with varnish.Its not intricate to my eye but he does have to avoid the newly painted spindles,risers(is that right) and post's as she decided to do this after he had painted the house.
Laura O'Brien writes:

Not exactly a handrail, but a banister, with lots of extra work. I think, though without seeing it, $1200 is a bit high, but I also very much doubt the old one can be replaced for $1200 because of the general complexity of most banister systems. All those spindles, newel posts, etc. create some real fun during refinishing, especially if it's being done over a fresh paint job on the risers and spindles and newel posts.
Charlie Self "The test and the use of man's education is that he finds pleasure in the exercise of his mind." Jacques Barzun

Suggest your mother get more than one quote and also ask for references. It sounds like this handrail is a source of pride for your mother so she wants it to look good. She will have to put a little time and effort into hiring the proper contractor if she's going to get it looking the way she wants.
Thanks for all your suggestions,I will tell her about your comments and get her to take some more quotes.You have been very helpful. Regards Laura