Square bench dog holes - worth doing the ledge?

Page 2 of 2

Pissed?
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

The whole dog is cherry. Only because it was nice-looking scrap. I would think anything harder than pine would work acceptably.
The springyness (tension?) of the spring is a function of thickness of the slat. I just experimented to get what I felt worked well. I was happy with the results of my second try.
-Steve
"Andy Dingley" said

Well said Andy. I can always use round dogs in my square holes, harder the other way around!
Dave
I've got square dogs too. I out a ledge in the top (Bad ascii art):
| | | | | | | |
side view of doghole - the ledge in the top is supposed to catch the pad that you glue to the face of the dog to prevent it from marking your stock.
Here's what I've found: all of my "nice" dogs (the ones with pads on the face) seem to wander off when I need them. The dogs I use are just strips of random stock ripped off of hunks of scrap wood (my holes area fat 3/4 x 3/4, so its easy to find stock). On the spring placement - if you make your dogs (and holes) square, and don't bother with a pad (I haven't had any problems not having one) it doesn't matter what side the spring is on - just turn it around until its the way you want it....
-JD

like you are doing, and have the ledges. Not pretty--I cut the dog holes with the RAS, and the extra width with a stopped cut of the RAS to remove most of the material, and a chisel to square up.
In another message, you said "I'm more on the "good, fast, cheap" side of the scale than ultimate bench with this one." Given that, consider that your ledge doesn't have to be neat, perfectly square, etc.

the dog will be in any of your dog holes, versus on the floor under your bench.

you have good unimpeded mating surfaces on the front and the back, where force is applied.

Don't over-analize it- they're just bits of scrap to hold your workpiece. I used square dog holes for my bench, and then made the "dogs" by ripping a piece of 4/4 beech to size and chopping a bunch of little square dogs out of it on the miter saw. Then I threw all of them in a cardboard box, and presto- more dogs than I will ever need. The don't have any springs on them at all, but they still work just fine. The pressure from the vise keeps everything in place no problem.
I'm not saying that you shouldn't do it the "correct" way, but it's certainly nothing to get too worked up over. Enjoy your new bench!
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam