Square Bearing Router Bits

Page 1 of 2
I need a laminate trim bit for my router (PC-890), and on a retailer's website I saw Whiteside "Euro-Square" laminate trim bits.
Can anyone compare the performance of these to the standard round bearing guided straight bits?
/rick.
"RickS" <rick --dot-- s --at-- comcast.net> wrote in message

I am guessing here but I do know that there are 2 styles of laminate trim bits. Those that will trim the laminate at a 90 degree angle and there are those that the bit cuts at a slight angle angle. The resulting corner edge of the laminate is beveled a bit and therefore not as sharp edged. This beveled bit is best used in the top edge only and not on the side edges that butt up to the bottom side of the top piece of laminate. The finished edge is more comfortable to rest against.

Thanks Leon.
My question really concerned the Whiteside "Euro-Square" laminate bits having a square bearing guide, rather than round. The square guide stops turning as it contacts the surface. This is supposed to improve the trim quality, but since I'm not convinced, I thought I might see if anyone here has some experience with them.
/rick.
"RickS" <rick --dot-- s --at-- comcast.net> wrote in message wrote...

maybe because it won't burn. if the round one gets a little bit stuck or doesn't rotate at the same speed, then it might burn the laminate?

But which is better a burn or if the square one gets a little bit stick or does not allow the bit to rotate inside the square guide bearing it may dent and bang up the laminate. Actually my round bearing stays clogged up with glue and does not always spin. No burning. I suspect because it does not stay in one spot long and has a slick surface.
wrote...

trim
stops
trim
here
The bearing isn't supposed to rotate at the same speed as the bit. It's there to ride on the surface as a guide and it's a bearing so that it is not spinning as one with the bit.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com

the outside doesn't rotate at the same speed as the bit, but isn't the inside supposed to?
On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 08:45:29 -0700, "Charles Spitzer"
<snip>

as I understand it, the outer "race" or whatever has a square teflon thingie attached to it, which would (you hope) stop gently on the surface and slide, while the inner bearing part (hub?) that makes physical contact with the router bit would spin with the ball bearings between the inner and outer rings of the bearing...
umm... the outside stops but the inside spins?? lol
If it doesn't, you've got real problems.

I'm with you now. I suspect that it is not a good idea. If the bearing stopped spinning because of glue contamination the corners could bang up and dent the laminate. My flush trim bit bearings don't spin too well any more but still do a good job.
"RickS" <rick --dot-- s --at-- comcast.net> wrote in message wrote...

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 22:18:02 GMT, "Leon"

But if they were square, the bearings would probably still turn freely. Sticky bearings is a gradual process, if they were forced to keep rotating they'd probably never get that way.

Well mine don't spin well because the bearings are giving up and or clogged up with old glue.
"RickS" <rick --dot-- s --at-- comcast.net> wrote in message

I'm curious too. Can you go ahead and buy and try and report back? <g> SH
"RickS" <rick --dot-- s --at-- comcast.net> wrote in message

Rick,
Can you post the link. I'd like to see these router bits.
Thanks.
--
Kevin
-=#=-

At Whiteside's site (a PDF file).... www.whitesiderouterbits.com/catalog/LaminateTrim.pdf
Or at Woodcraft (www.woodcraft.com), click on ... Router Bits (under departments), then.. WHITESIDE Router Bits, then.. Laminate Trim Bits, then... WHITESIDE Laminate Trimmer Bits with Euro Square Bearing.
I did not post the complete Woodcraft URL because it is 4 miles long.
/rick.
Thanks. I didn't know they were at Woodcraft. I would've just stopped in the store!
--
Kevin
-=#=-
"RickS" <rick --dot-- s --at-- comcast.net> wrote in message

contact

edges
I typically run 2 runs of masking tape over the area where the bearing runs. Seems to be just enough to keep from burning through. Then the laminate file. Another 2 cents. SH
I tried one for a re-lam in place job, using Wilsonart solvent contact cement and Wilsonart laminate. I was underwhelmed:( It still spun dried cement around the bearing - which has an easy-to-lose circlip and shield. The square plastic bearing collar then rapped on the lam. I'll probably stick with the solid carbides for most of my HPL.
"RickS" <rick --dot-- s --at-- comcast.net> wrote in message

Rick:
The square bearing bits you describe are a product of Euro Limited, although I wouldn't be surprised if Whiteside made them for Euro. I do know that the Euro Limited bits we carry are made in New Zealand.
The bits work quite well to reduce the contact cement fouling of the pilot bearing that is common with standard bits. The "square bearing" is really just a bushing pressed onto the standard pilot bearing and is made of teflon according to Euro.
Here is a link to ours: http://www.mcfeelys.com/product.asp?ProductID=lt6-4016
Hope this helps. If you need more info, feel free to call our tech support line at 1-800-443-7937 8-5 EST.
Jim Ray, President McFeely's Square Drive Screws www.mcfeelys.com