Spring

Yeah, boy. Spring has sprung. Flood warnings until 8 a.m. (there are some real fun aspects about living close to the Ohio, but I guess I should be happy I'm away and uphill, and not further downstream where it's a really powerful river).

And then, ta-dum: Wednesday night, 8 degs.

Bleah.

Charlie Self "Brevity is the soul of lingerie." Dorothy Parker

Charlie Self

We are feeling the brunt of a terrible winter here in Honolulu, it was 66 degrees last night and today we missed the average high by 3 degrees, it was ONLY 77. The locals are scrambling for their blanket.

Jack

Reply to
Jack

Something like that here too. I guess I get to use my new heater after all.

This is going to suck for awhile, but it's *still* spring. :)

I'm not undertaking any new "flat wood" projects until I do something about my saw, and I'm using this time to play with my lathe. The good thing about that is I don't have to worry about glue or finish temperatures.

(I have a long way to go before I turn out anything that's fit to finish too. Wood turning really is a separate discipline unto itself.)

I guess the cold won't bother me too much, so long as it doesn't mix with water.

Reply to
Silvan

Alas you have touched on the one thing I like about Ohio weather. It changes constantly, never a boring minute.

Jerry

BTW: Stopped at Woodcraft in Dayton yesterday, during the biblicial rainfall, and I like it a lot better than the Rockler store on Kempler in Cincy. I think the difference is that the Woodcraft store has about 3-4 times the floor space that the Rockler store has.

Reply to
JAW

Don't you remember all my blathers comparing my sled ideas to your sled ideas and so forth? I built a sled in September. There's a picture of it on my web site:

sled helps enormously, but this saw's problems are myriad, and it's not a panacea. The picture also shows the stupid, oversized sheet metal insert, for example, and the fact that the paint has rubbed off of the insert at the back is also telling.

It's better than nothing, but not by much. I hate it. I wish it would die so I'd *have* to replace it.

Probably means the damn thing will run forever.

Reply to
Silvan

No floods here but it was - 22 Farenheit without the wind chill here this weekend.

JohnV

Reply to
JohnV

On 05 Jan 2004 04:41:20 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) brought forth from the murky depths:

That's "farther", Mr. Writer, sir. ;)

We were due for snow showers today but it got sunny and 45F, warm enough to melt the rest of the snow off my lawn. Our low was 27 on Saturday.

I live about 50' above the river level here and have heard of the water coming up nearly to my house (but across the road) in flood years. The rain tomorrow will finish melting the snows and the river should be running at a pretty good clip tomorrow evening.

---------------------------------------------------- Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary

Dynamic Website Applications ====================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

EITHER word is technically correct to use in _this_ context.

The two words are _not_ always interchangeable --

'Farther' is acceptable _only_ in contexts of physical distance.

'Further' can be used for physical distance, and is the only acceptable word when the context is 'relative distance' (example, 'we must consider the matter further'.)

In the specific instance above, "further" _is_ probably preferable (although not compellingly enough for 'farther' to be regarded as being 'clearly wrong'), since the reference is -not- to a distance from a given point/place, but to a 'relative position' along the river path.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

There are worse things than using further for farther, your for you're, and so on.

I H8 this piky stuf. R U lisning? D' U git it?

I HOPE SO.

Don't get me started on formatting.

Reply to
Mark

Zats' arright. I use threematting and fivematting, about equally. "On average" everything comes out perfectly fourmatted.

*snicker*
Reply to
Robert Bonomi

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 08:47:28 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) brought forth from the murky depths:

Having just herniated myself with the Webster's Unabridged, I sit corrected. (Too lazy to stand.)

I had learned in school that "farther" was used in physical circumstances (indication of distance) and "further" was used only in intellectual circumstances.

Hey, I get to say that famous apology now: "Sorry, Charlie!"

========================================================= The Titanic. The Hindenburg. +

The Clintons. + Website & Graphic Design =========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

There's a Rockler on Kemper??? Where??? I'm up there all the time!!!

Reply to
Jerry Gilreath

Charlie, where you at so close to the HiO?

Reply to
Jerry Gilreath

Jerry Gilreath asks:

Parkersburg, WV. We drove across the 2 P'burg bridges this evening...the crest had not quite hit, but evidently wasn't going to cause an damage. Made a mess of some of Marietta, OH, though, yesterday and today, flooding Pike St. (one of the main drags and parallel to the river--though that branch may actually be the Muskingum: I'm not sure, as Marietta fronts both and the local TV news announcers barely speak English, so it's hard to tell what did what to what.

Charlie Self "Brevity is the soul of lingerie." Dorothy Parker

Charlie Self

Well don'tt lett itt botther you Larry - we all make misttakes.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

But it's only the unmarried lady butcher that makes miss-steaks.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 00:15:53 -0800, Fly-by-Night CC brought forth from the murky depths:

Tturkeybutt.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Woudll you like that well done or medium rare? ;-)

Renata

Reply to
Renata