Spread the wealth???

You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves. Abraham Lincoln

cm

Reply to
cm

So you are saying the government shouldn't be helping the big corporations with tax breaks and bailouts?

Reply to
Richard Evans

Oh that cm... he's been asking. So: Give him a break!

Reply to
Robatoy

Life is going to be great -

Dave - Parkville, MD

I'm John McCain, and I approved that message.

Reply to
Robatoy

That's correct. They should not.

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

I'm John McCain, and I approved that message.

Now that's funny!

cm

Reply to
cm

Instead of you needing breaks, you need to lighten up a little. I'm glad that you finally see this as funny.

Reply to
Robatoy

Given The One's history of taking care of his relatives, it is apparent that his philosophy is: "I'm my brother's keeper and I'm going to tax the crap out *you* to help my brother with what was your money".

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Tim Daneliuk wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ozzie.tundraware.com:

Finally something we can agree on.

Reply to
Han

So "the big corporations" should be allowed to go out of business? Then where will their former employees work?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Why should a big corporation go out of business? Why should /any/ corporation go out business?

Maintaining a corporate shell with tax revenues in order to deliver paychecks sounds a lot like escalation of welfare to include white-collar workers and executives...

Reply to
Morris Dovey

The workers will find jobs with whomever fills the void left when their company folded. If they were doing anything that was of value to anybody, there will arise a new company or companies to do what the old company was doing. Any idea how many automobile companies have come and gone in the U.S. since 1900?

Reply to
salty

Mark & Juanita wrote in news:rredndTaVoXzVZLUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

- If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough

Mark and/or Juanita, you are tougher than boiled owl.

Reply to
Elrond Hubbard

Because it was in financial trouble and nobody bailed it out?

Same argument was raised against the Chrysler bail out, which it turned out never cost the taxpayer a single cent.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I think that's pretty superficial. Corporations encounter financial trouble when they adopt non-viable business strategies, mismanage finances, elect incompetent boards who hire/retain top execs who make bad business decisions, attempt to end-run the legal system, or alienate their marketplace.

You might find it interesting that I gave notice and left a former employer of yours when I saw some of those same behaviors become acceptable within that corporate culture. I'm disinclined to be sympathetic.

Saved by the K car, indeed. I wish I could say /that/ never cost /this/ taxpayer a single cent. My bad, because I made the purchase decision - but I have some first-hand experience how that loan was paid back - and I resolved (and /kept/ that resolution!) to never buy another Chrysler product. For me, your example is unconvincing.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Exactly. For this reason neither the corporations, banks, OR the individuals who spent money they did not have should be bailed out by the rest of us who live within our means and/or by jacking up the Federal debt to even more stratospheric levels.

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

The reason the company went under is irrelevant to the person who is out of work with bills to pay.

So you didn't like the product. So what?

Reply to
J. Clarke

First...while I'm not from the US, I'm still impacted by the issue.

I'm generally in favour of letting the impacted businesses collapse under the weight of their own collective stupidity/greed. However, I think there's probably a kernel of truth to the "too big to fail" sentiment. (Of course, as one economist put it, that just means that they were "too big".)

Hypothetically suppose the US government (and all the other world governments) did let the impacted corporations collapse. It seems quite possible that domino effects would throw basically the entire developed world into a recession.

I'm Canadian and arguably our banking system has been one of the least impacted in the G8 due to stricter regulation. Even so, if the US and Europe were to have major problems, we'd be screwed as well because we're primarily an export nation.

Because of this, I'm currently in the "reluctantly bail them out and then try hard to make sure it can't happen again" camp.

Of course the downside of the bailout is that the next time the bankers see an opportunity for a quick buck via a risky move, all they have to do is make sure they're "too big to fail" and they've got an instant security blanket.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Then let's be honest and smart enough to make the welfare payments to that person instead of those who've already demonstrated that they can't manage money.

So our taxes paid for a bailout loan that was repaid by foisting cheap crap on people who expected reasonable value for their money. If that's acceptable to you, then you got what you paid for. It isn't acceptable to me because I didn't get the value I paid for.

Ah! I get it - your sympathy doesn't extend to those who get stiffed to make the bailouts work. Strikes me as a bit parochial...

...but as you said - so what?

Reply to
Morris Dovey