Spraying shellac seal coats - cheaply???

My 8 yr old son and I are building him a bunk bed with southern yellow pine - difficult stuff to finish.
After many trials and at least as many errors, we have settled on a finishing schedule that gives us a pleasing result.
1. Sanding progressively finer grits down to 220 with the ROS. 2. Wash coat of 1lb clear Bullseye shellac. Wait 30 minutes. 3. Stain with Woodkote's Danish Walnut Jel'd Stain (thick jell stain) Wait 2-3days. 4. Several coats of water based poly. 3 hours between coats.
The 2-3 day wait between the stain and the poly is a killer. In practice, it means that I can't stain and finish in the same weekend.
I have read that production guys reduce the 2-3 days to overnight by using a sealer coat of shellac over the stain the next morning. I tried that and the stain comes off on the brush. The stain is dry to the touch but not REALLY dry. I imagine that the production types are spraying on their sealer coats and so don't disturb the stain by touching it.
One day I will spring for the HVLP system of my dreams but for now I just can't afford it.
Would a cheapo sprayer from Home Depot do? I am happy to brush on everything else. It would be so nice to be able to stain in the evening and continue working in the morning! I would even be willing to buy aerosol cans. Does anyone sell spray cans of shellac???
Thanks Dave Day
You are wiping off the gel stain after it has set for a while aren't you?
--
Mike G.
Heirloom Woods

As I suspected. Well, that is probably most of your problem. The stuff isn't designed to dry like a glaze coat. Perhaps you may have better luck with several coats applied and wiped off rather then layers. If it isn't dry adding shellac on top of the stuff isn't going to help the situation much. I know waiting can be painful but sometimes the only alternative is to do it right. Generally it pays off in the end. That isn't to say you won't get away with it though.
I'm not sure but I may have seen spray shellac at Lowes but no guarantee. Mmmm, I do know they have spray lacquer (Deft). I wonder how that would work.
In any case, good luck. Mike
--
Mike G.
Heirloom Woods
Mike G wrote:
<snipped>

Home Depot in my area sells Zinsser's "Bulls Eye Shellac" in spray cans. I haven't used this product, but if it is like their non aerosol "Bulls Eye", it contains about 30% wax. Originally David stated his final coat would be water base poly. I would think the wax content in the shellac would cause adhesion problems for the final finish.
Also wouldn't the use of water based poly over lacquer cause blushing?
A good thought but I doubt it as long as we're only talking about a sealer coat
--
Mike G.
Heirloom Woods

If you would like to use an oil modified stain, a product such as Bonakemi's DriFast line of stains allows you can apply finish within 3 to 4 hours and it doesn't raise the grain and it doesn't show lap marks. It's EXCELLENT stuff. I just did a floor with it and yesterday I did an oak desk. It came out beautifully. Had it not been late in the day, I could have applied the finish coat already. Now I need to wait 'til tomorrow since I've been spending much of the day playing with my new toy, a Veritas smoother plane. :)
dave
David S. Day wrote:

2-3 days? <G>
Why not check your local area for a Behlen's, Mohawk or similar pro finishing products distributor and go for something that'll work better?
Barry
I have been spraying shellac with a critter for several years. Works fine.
Montyhp

I apply shellac with a folded rag or heavy paper shop towel. Wipe with the grain. Much easier than using a brush.

You might want to try this on a test piece.
I'm not big on using the ROS for the final sanding, as it always seems to leave swirls, even in the finer grits, but if it's working well enough for you, that's fine.
Try putting a coat of the poly on the freshly sanded wood and let it dry.
Get some TransTint dye stain concentrate from Jeff Jewitt (I've seen them at Woodcraft, also).
Put the Transtint into your poly and apply this as a color coat/toner. It's difficult to get an even toner coat with a brush but not impossible and you will still have much more control over the blotching this way than you will with the gel stain on SYP.
If your first coat of toner isn't dark enough (it's best to build up the color gradually) apply a second coat.
You will have to seal in the color coats with clear poly, or the inevitable nicks will show white.
(Christmas is coming. Ask Santa for that HVLP.)
You're using the "wrong" shellac. If you're going to apply a coat of ???? on top of a coat of shellac, you want the shellac to be de-waxed. You can mix your own from flakes and decant it, or you can purchase Zinsser's "Seal Coat" brand. This is sold as a sanding sealer and is actually a blonde de-waxed shellac in a can. I just used it on a pine cabinet yesterday and it worked great (as usual)
Good luck Rob
--

Remove CC for email and please visit our web site:
http://www.robswoodworking.com