Spraying Paint

Read an interesting thread on Proper Paint for Bookcases and would like to drift to the question of finish application, whether alkyd or latex. I build bookcases, chests, cabinets and refinish the old, with some natural but most painted. Should I own a siphon paint sprayer or a HPLV. I would love an excuse to buy a compressor to support a brad nailer.
Ed
Ed Bitzer wrote:

By HVLP I assume you mean the turbine type. There are also HVLP sprayers (conversion type) that use siphon feed or gravity feed. A compressor sized to support a brad nailer will not supply adequate air volume painting. I wouldn't consider less than a 5 HP 20 gallon compressor. Both kinds of sprayers do a good job. From what I have heard and not what I have experienced, Latex is very difficult to spray with a turbine type HVLP sprayers. I've used them for other finishes and wished I owned one, but I can't afford or justify the cost of the one I would like. I usually a HVLP conversion gravity feed sprayer and it does a more than good job. I have a 230V 6 HP 30 gallon compressor. Hope this helps. Regards, Hank
Henry St.Pierre wrote:

I've never sprayed paint in my life, but I'm currently reading "Spray Finishing" by Andy Charron as I'm getting ready to try spraying some precat lacquer. Based on what I've read so far, you're probably right about spraying latex with a turbine HVLP. The tip pressure in some turbine HVLP systems is too low to atomize heavy liquids. From what I read, you'd probably need a 5-7 stage system to be able to do it properly (think $$$$).
todd
Henry,
Thanks for the information which led me to read the specs on, for example, the Porter Cable Model PSH1 gravity feed HPLV gun - it needs 8.5 SGF at 40 psi. Their pancake compressor which would run my brad nailer puts out 3.7 SGF at 40 psi. Looks like I stick with a brush and roller for my home projects - darn.
About 40 years ago I used (actually the compressor is still running) a Sears inexpensive tankless compressor (put out about 35 psi) and painted numerous pieces of furniture with enamel and achieved great results. Progress sometimes is not all good<g>.
Ed

like
latex.
sprayers
turbine
owned
than
Ed Bitzer wrote:

There are still spray guns available that state they use under 3 SCFM. Some are the bleeder type, some are siphon/pressure fed. I question how well they will atomize the paint. Here's two examples from Grainger's:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/productdetail.jsp?xi=xi&ItemId11763049
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/productdetail.jsp?xi=xi&ItemId11763037
-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA