Spray painter

I am referring to the electric paint sprayer like the Wagner .

What about it? Want one? Drippy, cloggy POS.

it for only one purpose every 2 years: spraying lattice that surrounds our deck.
Lou

For that, I use a cheap garden pump sprayer. And if I use a good stain product, in my climate, every 4 to 5 years. YMMV.
Wagner builds junk.
Patriarch

I consider the Wagner electric sprayers like Foam Brushes - disposable. I can invariably find them at Big Lots for a fraction of retail. I use them about once every 5 years to stain the fence and then toss the piece of crap.

I won't even sell the POS that I have, because I don't want someone coming back and complaining that it's useless on a good day. Did I mention the paint spitting tendancies? Good finish, good finish, good finish, big loogie of paint, drip drip sputter, good finish. Bah.
Tom Mercer wrote:

Paint sprayer and that POS are mutually exclusive terms.
Lew
Don't waste your money on a small electric on, but invest bit more money and get something worth your while as it will beworth your time and money.......and your dismay with a cheap one.
I know been there, did that.
Lew Hodgett wrote:

OTOH, paint splatterer and POS are synonymous... :)
Lew Hodgett ( snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net) wrote on Tuesday 12 July 2005 06:12 pm:

Wait, I've got a Wagner 9150 electric airless sprayer, and I'm happy with it. It does not splatter if properly maintained. I'm on my third year of ownership, and have used it for quite a few painting and staining jobs. The only pain is the cleanup. I even got a good deal, since it was a remanufactured model.
Unless you're talking about the little hand sprayers, then I have no experience with those. But, from what I've heard, they're pretty much garbage.
--
Michael White "To protect people from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools." -Herbert Spencer

Absolute crap. But I repeat a reply I posted to your previous query.
Airless sprayers atomize the paint by the enormous pressure that the paint is under at the exiting nozzle. The game starts at $1000.00 The vibrating diaphragm Wagner crap is crap in it's purest form. ----------------
HVLP or regular sprayers atomize the paint by blowing the paint feed apart with air.
The systems are not interchangeable.
The HVLP/regular sprayers can be used for basically the same jobs. ------------------ Airless, however, is best suited for serious through-put of heavier materials. I just painted my daughter's sitting room. The room's ceiling is acoustic tile, and the walls are T&G panels. I covered the carpet with plastic. taped the windows and baseboards, and painted the room with 2 gallons of paint in 30 minutes. That's where the airless system shines. Mine is a Titan system and it has paid for itself many times over in the last 5 years. I ended up with it after a large renovation job where it was the only way to paint the overhead exposed structural steel. With an extension wand, it was actually a lot of fun. Airless systems are often rated in HP (mine is a 3/4 HP at 3000 PSI) Some are rated in Gallons per minute, which should tell you something. Great for the outside of houses, barns etc. Great for irregular surfaces like block and brick.
HVLP is for finer finishes. Conversion guns are as good as any. No need for all that dedicated turbine stuff although a friend does very nice work with his Fuji. If you're planning on using waterborne finishes, make sure that stainless components are used. Quality costs money.
YMMV

I have and use a number of less-than-high-quality tools and have a hard time throwing even the worst piece of crap away. However, I tossed my Wagner "sprayer" into the garbage can and never looked back. It was by far the worst piece of crap tool that I have ever spent retail money on (and I have bought stuff from Harbor Freight!)
Dave Hall
Hello,
I bought a wagner sprayer for painting my basement and I had the hardest time as I tried to put the primer layer on, the thing was bogging down, and I was frustrated as hell. I ended up diluting my paint so much that it was not even funny.....
However, my experience using the sprayer with clearcoat (for a brick wall that I wanted to clear coat) and with "lower quality paints" (thinner, with a longer drying time (about 2 hours instead of the 30 minutes of the standard BEAR paint) were completly different! and I really enjoyed using the spray painter, it's rapidity and versatility as well as it's capacity to paint in nooks and crannies...
so, I think that it mainly boils down to what material and paints you are using with it. I am now carefull about my paint celection (it actually reduces my paint cost!) and I get good experiences with what I thought originally was a peice of crap....
how, however, I have never had any sucess with the suction stuff.... anyway I tried...
regards, cyrille

Add another vote for the piece of crap selection. However, rather than pitching mine, I sold it to a guy that my wife worked with who was convinced that he could make it work and I just didn't know how to set up and adjust machinery. :-) Of course he claimed it worked really good for him.
<snip>

That's a gloat on SO MANY levels!
* you got some of your money back, after having been suckered in by the advertising.
* you sold a defective tool to someone who truly believed it wasn't defective AFTER FULL DISCLOSURE! Your concience is clear.
* someone showing clear signs of arrogance is now the owner of a certifiably crummy tool.
Last year we had a garage sale on our street. Well, our stuff was all on the driveway, but my garage/shop/studio door was open. A guy asks of I want to sell any tools. I wasn't of a mind to, but he pushed.
He got a Craftsman router, with the well-know ARHA feature, with full disclosure. I got $20. I hope he's as happy as I am. The router was a donation from a friend, when I started my tool gathering. I tried to give him the $20, but he just laughed!
Patriarch

ARHA feature? Google doesn't provide a meaning here.
Dave Hinz wrote:

Automatic Random Height Adjustment - when the collet that's supposed to hold the bit doesn't.
I broke a 1/4" carbide bit due to this, as well as goofing a few cuts with other bits.
-j