spray-can cap conundrum

Any of you old-timers in the same fix I'm in? I was trying to wrench the glass-slick cap off a spray can of Minwax urethane finish last night, and these old hands have lost so much grip strength since I was young that I couldn't get the dang thing off no matter how I tried. I was eventually reduced to jamming a long screwdriver right through the cap and levering the wreckage off of the can. When I was done I looked down at the mess I'd made of it and just shook my head.
Your basic old Krylon cap is a bit easier, but not much. Often I end up slipping a flat-bladed screwdriver tip under one edge and levering it off, trying not to break it in the process.
Anybody have any good ideas for me?
Thanks, Tom
On 1/26/2014 1:35 PM, Tdacon wrote:

then wrapping around your hand such that as you turn the the cap the belt tightens on the cap.
"Keith Nuttle" wrote in message
On 1/26/2014 1:35 PM, Tdacon wrote:

then wrapping around your hand such that as you turn the the cap the belt tightens on the cap.
Keith The cap is tapered towards the top and very slick. That would be hard to get a grip on. WW

Art
"Tdacon" wrote in message
Any of you old-timers in the same fix I'm in? I was trying to wrench the glass-slick cap off a spray can of Minwax urethane finish last night, and these old hands have lost so much grip strength since I was young that I couldn't get the dang thing off no matter how I tried. I was eventually reduced to jamming a long screwdriver right through the cap and levering the wreckage off of the can. When I was done I looked down at the mess I'd made of it and just shook my head.
Your basic old Krylon cap is a bit easier, but not much. Often I end up slipping a flat-bladed screwdriver tip under one edge and levering it off, trying not to break it in the process.
Anybody have any good ideas for me?
Thanks, Tom
I have the same trouble since Krylon was bought by Sherwin Williams. The old cap with the push tabs was great. Us old farts have troubles when we loose or grip strength. WW

Try squeezing it a bit (make more oval) then pull.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 1/26/2014 2:12 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:

:-)
On 1/26/2014 1:35 PM, Tdacon wrote:

Flies right off.
On 1/26/14 3:45 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

to the can and the nozzle goes flying, too far away and you miss.... -BR

There's one cap that looks like it's supposed to be squeezed one way, but it has to be squeezed gripping another. If you apply pressure at just the right point, it pops off easily.
Generally, caps don't get reinstalled after they're removed. If you'd like a color indication, spray some tape, let it dry and wrap it around the can. Been leaving the caps off spray paint cans since I was a kid, and never had a problem. (I know--how horrible! a 12 year old using spray paint!)
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 1/26/2014 9:52 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

--
Jeff

On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 10:35:59 -0800, "Tdacon"

Channel locks work for me.
"Tdacon" wrote in message
Well, thanks for your comments. No silver bullet so far, but if I think of anything brilliant I'll let you know.
Gramps' joke on another thread (Cap conundrum II) was a good one.
Tom

Don't go for the silver bullet, a lead one will work just fine. Take CAREFUL aim, place the can out a good ways, and fire that cap off! Just be careful NOT to hit the can itself or the tip inside! :-)
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.