Spokeshave - L-N vs L V

Does anyone know where I might find a review that compares the Lie-Nielsen and Veritas spokeshaves.
Or perhaps someone has some observations...
Many thanks, Roy
Veritas low angles are superb. I am a former user of the patterns reproduced by LN, and though the LNs are undoubtedly of better quality (the planes are), the design is inferior in my opinion to the LV low angles.

George, Many thanks for your response. That is an interesting observation. What do you think is better about the design of the Veritas version. Is this borne out by use? Roy
Would I have said it if I didn't think so?
My acid test for usability is always the same - HS IA students. Those kids learned to pull a shaving off of end grain with the LV shaves in ten minutes or less. If I open 'em up a bit, I can hog green cherry so fast I hardly even reach for my drawknife any more. The geometry of the shave when used for concave curves could be better. You have to pitch the handles up until you grab a shaving, where, if it were an exclusively curved, they could pitch the rear up for a more natural grip.
When I'm lazy, I won't even bother to grip the piece in the shavehorse, preferring to use the shave one-handed, while holding the piece with the other. With a 1/8" A2 iron, it's going to cut anything without chatter.
There's another thread going on about making low-angle shaves, but they are of the older wedged adjustment pattern which is a bit more slippy than the Veritas, and in my experience, more prone to chatter as well.

Only game in town. No-one else makes a metal-bodied low angle spokeshave - like a wooden one, only metal. Hardly anyone still makes a wooden one.
Hey Roy,
Just a quick note, you can buy Hock spokeshave blades and make your own real quick.
As for convex and concave spokeshaves, I have the Cliftons, excellent weight, not much work to get them tuned up, and beautiful to work with.
If anyone wants plans for spokeshave bodies, that work with Ron Hock's spokeshave blades, let me know, I'll work on posting some.
Cheers,
Andy
Andy,
I'd love to have some plans for making my own spokeshaves, I've been wanting a set for awhile now but they haven't hit the top of my priority list yet so I'm still waiting, but this might do it for me :)
Thanks, Mike

real

I'd appreciate those plans.
TomL
TomL wrote:

You have also what to check the article John Gunterman (formerly known as Spokeshave) has on his web site:
http://www.shavings.net/TEACHSHAVE.HTM

I know him as Clydesdale Mountain Biker. <G>
Barry
----------

or MPD Blue

That would be a nice idea. I have a very cheap cast something spokeshave body which isn't too bad. It is the only I've ever used though. But I keep thinking that I could likely make something better.
Joe

Check out: http://www.shavings.net/TEACHSHAVE.HTM
Chuck Vance
I'll look forward to seeing those plans, also. Regards, Roy Hickman

own real

excellent
with.
Hock's
Andy, Many thanks for your response. I have not really thought too much about making my own but you have given me some food for thought. I would love to see the plans that you have - there are some at http://www.shavings.net/TEACHSHAVE.HTM as others have pointed out in recent posts to this thread.
Yes I have been tempted by the Cliftons. My local S/H tool shop http://www.pennyfarthingtools.co.uk / has some that I have been drooling over for weeks. Your post will probably tip me over the edge at the weekend :-)
Do you have any experience with the L-N and Veritas versions?
Thanks, Roy