Spokeshave

I Just picked up a new blade for my Record Spokeshave.I see its ground at about 25-30 deg out of the packet and it seems to be ok to shave radiata pine but its not what you would call SHARP.

Do these normally come ground ready for use or should I hone another bevel on it to try to get it sharper ?

TIA

Reply to
Greg William

IMNSHO any blade, LV and LN included, need some touch-up before use.

Glen

Reply to
Glen

No, it's only ground - it's not sharp. You'll need to hone it. I hone my spokeshaves the same as my planes - ground to 25 deg, honed to 30.

Cheers,

Reply to
Frank McVey

They're all ready for use, but perhaps not for the use you intend.

Make yourself a wooden wedge with a bolt to hold that short sucker in place as you hone, and you'll get consistency. Not sure how important the angle or the "secondary" bevel is. I don't use one.

Reply to
George