Spiral vs Jig saw

Page 2 of 3

Guess we're all waiting for the Festool patent to expire. Wonder when *that* is?

You may want to check that. I don't they're all interchangeable. In fact, I'm pretty sure they're not. But I also don't know which fit which.

Recently, I talked briefly to a guy at Home Depot demonstrating a Dremel oscillating tool. According to him, their accessories fit the Fein oscillating tool, but the reverse is not true. Don't know about the rest.
Upscale wrote:

That good to know... $8.00 for the Dremel blade vs. x $20.00 for Fein.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
wrote in message

Fein has a $20 blade???
Leon wrote:

Actually $18.90.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
The last time I bought one locally I paid around $52. I think now that they've got competition the prices are coming down.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
wrote in message

Thank you !
Robatoy wrote:

The Dremel blades fit the HF model (by experiment) and say on the package that they fit Fein tools. Bosch says to use Fein blades.
So, I'll rephrase: There is a high degree, if not universal, of interchangeability in the blades of different manufacturers.
This makes sense: The real money (like Gilette) is in the blades, not the tool. The simple cutting blade from Dremel is about $11 (and costs about five cents to manufacture).

That's another Fein mess you got me into, Ollie.
On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 11:27:14 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

...boy, I've had a Fein tool for quite awhile now, and LOVE the way it functions...I use it mainly for hard to cut things like base or crown that needs a trim for a cabinet installation; non-invasive and accurate. That said, I would be elated if I didn't have to pay Fein prices for *that* blade...looks like a job for Supergoogler!
cg
Charlie Groh wrote:

Toss the Fein in the dumpster, get the HF equivalent, and you can use everybody's blades (or darned near everybody's). Using cheap blades, you'll find that there are even MORE jobs to which you can apply the tool (toenail trimming, pet grooming, weed-whacking, fish scaling, emergency amputations, sidewalk chewing-gum removal, opening turtles, etc.).

...hahaha, maybe, but I'm gonna find out if those blades will fit mine first!
cg

Charlie Groh wrote:

MORE INFO
Looking on Ebay, the SECCO tool says their tool will not accept Fein blades, BUT they sell an adaptor to allow the use of Fein blades. SECCO blades, WILL, however, fit a Fein tool.
Here's the item, current bid, with shipping, is about $70.00.
http://cgi.ebay.com/SECCO-916-with-Fein-Multimaster-Compatable-Blades_W0QQitemZ370169318027QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item370169318027&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparmsr%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50
Ebay also has oodles of cheaper blades. And other things. For example, here's a guy selling a Fein "sander," which is really a Fein Multimaster, for less than $60.00. http://cgi.ebay.com/FEIN-SANDER-TYPE-MSx-636-1_W0QQitemZ250381560398QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSanders_Sandblasters?hash=item250381560398&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparmsr%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50
I can't look anymore... it's all too tempting.
Aside: You can find all kinds of shit on Ebay. This past week I called a wallpaper store and attempted to buy a mural for $105. We don't have a company credit card and they wouldn't take a company check. Found the same mural (actually four of the same by different sellers) on Ebay and bought the mural for $40, including shipping.

Not to interrupt your drift, as it's all informative, but as an FYI I've already bought a dewalt jigsaw. So, to support your drift, how good is the sanding abilities of these multi-tools? TIA
nb

They work well in small and or confined areas. They do not replace or even compare to a regular full sized sander.
Leon wrote:

Second that. Oh, I suppose they WOULD work as well as an orbital sander, but the special-sticky-back sandpaper they require is a deal breaker. I've only used mine a few times for places an orbital sander would not fit.
I HAVE thought about trimming regular sandpaper to fit (which is an excellent way to sharpen scissors), then using rubber cement...

Not.

That is not true. Some of the blades are 1 way interchangeable. You cannot mount all Fein blades on the Dremel.
Leon wrote:

I'll bet I could... Eventually.
notbob wrote:

and a jigsaw.