Spiral vs Jig saw

That good to know... $8.00 for the Dremel blade vs. x $20.00 for Fein.

Reply to
Nova

Yes. I have a crosscut saw. I figure the jigsaw is gonna be the best choice, as I need to cut a radiused leg hangover cutout, like on a boat berth, in the 1-1/8" particle board. The roto-zip doesn't seem to be getting a good rap, but I see one of those multi-tools down the road. The sanding option really looks handy.

Thank you all who provided valuble information on this. I'll be lurking about for more great info.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Fein has a $20 blade???

Reply to
Leon

Actually $18.90.

last time I bought one locally I paid around $52. I think now that they've got competition the prices are coming down.

Reply to
Nova

I'll bet I could... Eventually.

Reply to
HeyBub

Thank you !

Reply to
Leon

Most recent flyer from Harbor Freight has the "Multifunction Power Tool" for $39.99.

Blades: Diamond cutter or 3 Blade set - $5.99 Half-moon cutter blade - $5.99

Reply to
HeyBub

And those fit Feins?

Reply to
Robatoy

And those fit Feins?

The sand paper does not fit the Fein Holder. Apparently the wrong type hook and loop, they stick but not tightly and they are also larger than the OEM Fein.

Reply to
Leon

From the Dremel website:

The Dremel Multi-Max tool only uses Dremel accessories. Dremel Multi-Max accessories are compatible with Fein Multimaster model 636 and Bosch Multi-X model PS-50.

Reply to
Upscale

Now that was funny!

Reply to
Leon

:>

:> Second the recommendation of the jig saw. Also, the blades you use make :> an enormous :> difference. I've been vry impressed with Bosch's new line of Xtra Clean :> For Wood blades :> (T308B). Here's a review: :>

:>

I have seen these blades, have you used Bosh blades in the past? Do these : cut cleaner than the older Bosch styles? I only use Bosch blades and pretty : much get a burnished smooth surface on hard woods using the regular Bosch : blades, fine cut, with a Milwaukee jig saw. I get a "little" tear out on : the top side when cross cutting Oak veneer plywood.

My impression is that they do cut cleaner, although I haven't used them enough in a direct comparison to be 100% sure. I've used the new ones mostly in pine (my son's a cub scout, and I was doing the cuting for the boys in a pack meeting last week). The new blades leave a finish that's smoother than a Timberwolf blade on my 14" bandsaw, with essentially no tearout (I was expecting the pine to tear out on the top). The different may be more apprent with softwoods and plywood than with hardwood.

-- Andy

Reply to
Andrew Barss

...I fell into that trap a few years ago...there it sits: Yard Sale fodder...

cg

Reply to
Charlie Groh

Thanks, I'll have to try a pack next time I buy blades.

Reply to
Leon

...boy, I've had a Fein tool for quite awhile now, and LOVE the way it functions...I use it mainly for hard to cut things like base or crown that needs a trim for a cabinet installation; non-invasive and accurate. That said, I would be elated if I didn't have to pay Fein prices for *that* blade...looks like a job for Supergoogler!

cg

Reply to
Charlie Groh

Toss the Fein in the dumpster, get the HF equivalent, and you can use everybody's blades (or darned near everybody's). Using cheap blades, you'll find that there are even MORE jobs to which you can apply the tool (toenail trimming, pet grooming, weed-whacking, fish scaling, emergency amputations, sidewalk chewing-gum removal, opening turtles, etc.).

Reply to
HeyBub

...hahaha, maybe, but I'm gonna find out if those blades will fit mine first!

cg

Reply to
Charlie Groh

MORE INFO

Looking on Ebay, the SECCO tool says their tool will not accept Fein blades, BUT they sell an adaptor to allow the use of Fein blades. SECCO blades, WILL, however, fit a Fein tool.

Here's the item, current bid, with shipping, is about $70.00.

also has oodles of cheaper blades. And other things. For example, here's a guy selling a Fein "sander," which is really a Fein Multimaster, for less than $60.00.
can't look anymore... it's all too tempting.

Aside: You can find all kinds of shit on Ebay. This past week I called a wallpaper store and attempted to buy a mural for $105. We don't have a company credit card and they wouldn't take a company check. Found the same mural (actually four of the same by different sellers) on Ebay and bought the mural for $40, including shipping.

Reply to
HeyBub

Not to interrupt your drift, as it's all informative, but as an FYI I've already bought a dewalt jigsaw. So, to support your drift, how good is the sanding abilities of these multi-tools? TIA

nb

Reply to
notbob

They work well in small and or confined areas. They do not replace or even compare to a regular full sized sander.

Reply to
Leon