spinning wheel plans

I am looking for a set of plans for a double peddle spinning wheel. I have pretty much exhausted the search thing and found a couple but the pics are very bad so it's hard to tell the true look of the finished product. I am hoping someone here knows of some.
Thanks to all in advance, Lee
walnutlvr wrote:

Try doing a Google /image/ search to narrow down the choices visually.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Will this help?
A bit but still no decent plans. Won't be able to read replies til around midnight cst gotta go to work

It's only a single pedal wheel, but the 1929 Popular Mechnics Shop Notes has a pretty comprehensive plan for a colonial-style spinning wheel on pages 25-32. The book is available in reprint from Lee Valley. It seems to me it wouldn't be altogether impossible to come up with a redesign of a single pedal wheel to have two pedals; I don't begin to know enough about spinning to know if double pedal also generally implies additional changes, though.
To be honest, I'm not completely sold on the styling of this design; it looks rather too heavy and highly styled for my tastes--a little too much turning and not enough general proportion, I guess.
--
Andrew Erickson

walnutlvr wrote:

]
Lee, I was just looking for the same thing. The best I found is listed below, though they are single pedal and not dual. However, converting them to dual pedal is "a piece of cake." All you have to do is make a slight modification to the way the pedal attaches and put an extra crook in the axle. Also, looking at the Ashford of a friend of mine, I am going to modify the Maidens to accept sintered bronze bearings, like the Ashford uses.
http://www.woodcraftplans.com/fd181.htm
http://www.woodcraftplans.com/fd182.htm
I ordered both sets and had then in about four days, not bad.
I built the Popular Mechanics wheel and it is not bad. Since it was my first, I really cannot judge the plans but they appear easier to follow than the ones mentioned above. The reason I am going with the above is that I (my daughter actually) want a larger wheel than the 17/18" in the Popular Mechanincs plans.
If I can be of any help, give me a shout.
Deb
Dr Deb, Thank you for the suggestion and link. I was looking at those plans but wasn't sure if they where what she wanted. Turns out if I can convert it to two pedal she would like the large wheel. Again thank you. Lee

I have a naive question: What is the advantage of dual pedals?
I forget what the similar piece of equipment was where I had a single pedal keeping a wheel going, but the flywheel action was such that a single wheel was no problem.
FWIW ...
--
Best regards
Han

walnutlvr wrote:

I was going to suggest a variable speed drive with pedal control (kinda like a sewing machine), but that pretty well blows away any further debate. :-D
Geek response: Dual pedals will help to preserve bilateral symmetry, a Good Thing(tm) since it doesn't lead to walking/running in circles...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

What kind of lathe did you get?
S.

Fair enough !!
--
Best regards
Han

says...

2 feet & legs do the work so there's less strain (& risk of rsa)
Easier to start 'without hands'.
For plying, the wheel needs to run in the opposite direction to spinning, a single pedal wheel with a weighted flywheel will always want to start in the same direction, making starting it for plying awkward. So my wife says.
Lastly, you can have a perfectly balanced flywheel in a double treadle, reducing noise and vibration. You can have that also in a single treadle wheel, of course, but then you'll basically need to start the wheel with your hand if it hasn't stopped in the exact right place. Which is why most single treadle wheels are weighted with a plug of metal.
-P.
Still not your double treadle, but I bought a set of plans for a nice 30" wheel from Fine Woodworking in 1991.
Have you tried contacting any spinning groups? People who sell products to spinners? My wife takes a mag called "Spin-Off". Don't remember if it has plans, but sure has a lot of ads. In May, on Mother's Day weekeend, there's a pretty big get-together of folks who raise and process fiber just east of St. Paul, Mn. It's called Shepard's Harvest. Many people to talk to to ask such     questions.
Pete Stanaitis ------------------