Spin off from the "dead nuts" thread with focus on blades

I've got a 24 tooth Freud 7 1/4" blade with an 1/8" kerf that I've been loath to replace because I cannot find another with similar specifications... Is anyone aware of a blade of comparable or better quality to this Freud that is available today? My DAGS and manufacturer site searches have been fruitless but I may simply be missing the target...
My Freud is probably 25+ years old. Upon reading the "dead nuts" thread I went to the shop and cleaned the blade to see how many carbides need to be replaced if I get it sharpened. My best guess is 10 of the 24 would have to be replaced due to chips... but it STILL cuts better than the various thin kerf blades I have for the saw!
I've also got a 40 T Freud blade for that 7 1/4" saw but that is too fine for dimension lumber. I tend to use my PC trim saw for sheet goods rather than the bigger saw so the 40T Freud seldom gets used.
John
John Grossbohlin wrote:

You didn't say what grind.
Grizzly has one close...G5459 Steelex 7-1/4" x 5/8" 24t ATB .120 Ripping Blade http://www.grizzly.com/products/category/165041
--

dadiOH
____________________________

It's a general purpose framing blade.... dimension lumber and plywood/OSD. The size and tooth count and my mention of dimension lumber and sheet goods in the original message sort of positions it as such... ATB would be the typical grind for such use. I also use the saw for cross-cutting rough cut hardwood and softwood boards before rough dimensioning them on the bandsaw.
I paid about $35 for the Freud blade 25+ years ago. I'm having a difficult time imaging that a $7 Chinese blade today would be comparable to the Freud... plate thickness and trueness and carbide size and quality surely vary.
Maybe I'll throw one on the next Grizzly order--added it to my Save for Later list. I'm sure there will be another order soon as I'm in stock-up mode for shaper items. This as I picked up a 3 HP Grizzly shaper recently to replace my 1.5 HP closed stand Jet shaper.
John

http://www.grizzly.com/products/H9352 You'd have to call them to find out for sure, but I suspect this blade if pretty thick.
--

-MIKE-

Did you check Forrest? They do sell 7 1/4 blades.
http://www.forrestblades.com/hiat.htm
It ain't cheap, but I'd imagine it will last a LONG time.
MJ

I did check them already... 60 Tooth in either the WWI or the melamine blades and 30 T in the WWII. They are 3/32" "thin kerf" blades.... wish they were 1/8"!
I've got Forrest blades on my CMS and cabinet saw... they work. ;~) In the scheme of things the 7.25" WWII at about $70 probably costs less in constant dollars than I paid for the Freud blade 25+ years ago (around $35 as I recall) and if it lasts me 25 years it's a bargain.
I put on different blades if I know I'm getting into dirty or used lumber. I learned my lesson years ago when I picked up a scrap to cut some blocking and proceeded to saw through 6 10d nails... took the carbides right off the blade!
I've not ruled the Forrest blade out... though I wish it were 1/8". They do seem over the top for a circular saw though don't they? ;~)
John

I don't think I've ever seen a 7-1/4" blade with a 1/8" kerf. I have an old top dog Freud that I use on my Skill 77 with a 3/32" kerf and it's as thick as I've ever seen in that size.

My old Freud is 1/8".... haven't seen another like it. With a good PC saw the wide kerf has never been a problem and has probably helped more than not due to the clearance. It works great in things like wet PT and wood that "moves" as it has a lot of clearance, i.e., the sides of the carbide stick out beyond the plate significantly. The plate is stiff too...
John
You know John, you could always get an outside blade of a 6" dado and have them regrind it for you. It would be 1/8 although the number of teeth might be off.

"tiredofspam" <nospam.nospam.com> wrote in message

I'm leaning toward the Forrest... pull the trigger and get it over with kind of thing as I've spent too much time trying to find a duplicate of my old Freud already! Then again... I could have the old Freud "rebuilt" by Forrest. ;~)
John

The old Freud I have is a beautiful qualify blade, and haven't seen any other like it either. I wonder if ours are from the same era? The blade came with my Skil 77 when my Dad gave it to me about 12 years ago, and who knows how old it was then. Interestingly enough, I gave it a closer look and it has the words "thin kerf" on it, which implies that Freud must also have made a "regular kerf" blade during that time, likely in your 1/8" width.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

Could be the same basic blade... I have never found one in that size that was better... From our long term experiences, maybe they were too good? ;~)
John
On Jun 24, 10:41pm, "John Grossbohlin"

First chip that broke off took all of the other chips with it.