Spiders

Page 1 of 2

My workshop is plagued by spiders. They capture lots of saw dust and other dust. While the cold weather should help, any suggestions on ridding my shop of this pest? I've been using the shop vac constantly but was seeking something more lethal. And I don't care about a few carcinogens.
Frogs, wasps, birds, and snakes eat spiders. And they're relatively low on carcinogens.
warbler wrote:

the spiders are there because there is food for them. look at their web to see what it is that they are eating. if it's mosquitoes, check the area for standing water. if you poison the spiders you'll just get a population explosion of mosquitoes...

Mine was too. I set off one of the bug bombs. No spiders, or bugs of any type. All cautions apply. Cover all surfaces that could stain, the stuff is also combustible. No open flames or heating sources. Yada Yada Yada,
Dave

I sort of seal up the shop every couple of weeks and use one of those bug bombs... come back 4 hours later and dead spiders on the floor...
We have lots of black widows here, and you have to get rid of their food (other spiders) to get rid of them.. I also keep a can of "one shot" spider spray on the bench.. (found it at Home depot )
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

You want to kill things that eat insects that eat wood? Why? Leave 'em be. When they eat their way out of your house, they'll seek a new home.

They are little critters with a cold blooded metabolism = they don't eat much, although they will eat more if it is available. If there are any children around, I would certainly try to get rid of black widows, brown recluses, etc. Still a good idea to try to eliminate their food supply, though.
Steve

you didn't read the OP's post:

These must be them newly discovered wood eating spiders. The little ones eat saw dust, but as they grow, then they move up to wood shavings and eventually fight their way into your wood storage area and chow down on your good stuff.
;)
--
be safe.
flip

What do you with these things, feed them to the spiders? :-) Okay, really, what do you do with them?
Bryan
DamnYankee (in snipped-for-privacy@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com) said:
| What do you with these things, feed them to the spiders? :-) Okay, | really, what do you do with them?
Put one on each side of doors, one in each corner. Spiders don't like to be where hedgeapples are. I have a half-dozen in my shop (2500 sqft) and no spiders.
I'll try it! I've got those long spindly legged spiders all over the place. Damn I hate those things.
Bryan
I have a white powder I sprinkle on my lawn to keep the tigers away. I have no tigers, so it must be working. :-)
brian
Must be the same stuff I use for elephants! :-)
Bryan

must be the same stuff that I use for young blondes...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On 19 Oct 2005 07:48:07 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,

And which I use for Rhinos.
None have shown up here yet, though I was taken quite aback at the strange steer which wandered up to my fence 3 years back. It turns out that a nearby neighbor had an Emu ranch and one escaped, jumping into the field next to me which usually contained only a handful of steers.
What a welcome to Oregon THAT was! <g>
----------------------------------------------- I'll apologize for offending someone...right after they apologize for being easily offended. ----------------------------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Inoffensive Web Design
I don't do anything to rid my workshed of spiders. Hell, I need SOMEONE to talk to while I'm making all that saw dust.
Now wasps, on the other hand . . .
FoggyTown

You sure you didn't ingest a little of that wacky tobbacky they grow down there in them mountain dells? Rhinos, emus and steers, yeah, right...
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

Nope. I quit -all- that stuff just over 2 decades ago. But the powder must be working: I haven't seen ANY rhinos here. Steers are a mainstay on the nearby ranches, and the emu was a real fun photo op that day.
----------------------------------------------- I'll apologize for offending someone...right after they apologize for being easily offended. ----------------------------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Inoffensive Web Design

Actually, if he's sprinkle borax, he'd kill a bunch.