Spice Rack Woes, Mini French Cleat System??

I have to build and install two matching spice racks into a small kitchen. I have my plans. The wood is available. It is an easy build that can be done in a day.
The problem is that they must be installed onto half inch plywood with no visible fasteners. The weight is no problem, spices are not heavy. I need to get appproval of how I hang the spice racks before I can build them. Nothing can poke through the back, which is visble.
I have suggested hanging them like a picture frame with wire. No. I suggested drilling holes that can be plugged. No. I suggested keyhole router slots in the back. This was also rejected.
This is a family friend, so I am putting up with far more than usual. I was thinking of a some kind of mini french cleat system would work.
But all the french cleat systems I have seen were for full sized, heavy cabinets. Are there any mini systems out there? Is there any kind other material/hardware that could be used or modified to serve this purpose?
Any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated. I am anxious to get this done.
I should add, that these are far larger than conventional spice racks. They hold the large, commercial size spices, like the ones used in resturants.
The spices are still not that heavy. But the rack is definitely bigger (and a bit heavier) than regular spice racks.
That is why I want to make sure that they are securely fastened to the half inch plywood.

back or can get some by adding a molding to cover, it works as well or better than a French cleat, because it's less prone to dismount if bumped from below.
On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 04:17:10 -0500, "Lee Michaels"

ya might as well make it easy..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Yes, spices should never be stored where light hits them. Inside a cupboard is best. I'm designing some pull out spice racks for my kitchen.

Isn't that why so many are stored in lightproof containers?

Sorry, I couldn't hear your tone of voice. Was that sarcasm? (Most spices & herbs & the like I've paid any attention to are sold in clear- ish containers so you can see them.)
Puckdropper

On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 04:09:55 -0500, "Lee Michaels"

I might simply make my own small French cleat.
A photo of another option is here: <http://www.rufkahrs.com/shelbe/fasten.html Scroll down to K-418Z. My local hardware stores carry them, and I'm used them on several mirrors. These hangers take a bit of care to install, but they're rock solid.

Take the smart way out. Remind the user that spices and herbs will lose their potency and be useless much quicker when exposed to light. Suggest they be put away in a cabinet or drawer. No serious cook has them on open display.
Now use that wood for something useful like a gun rack or DVD shelf. .
"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

Scroll down and take a look at how I used 'French cleats' to make these spice racks adjustable and you might get some ideas for your dilemma.
Instead of using a frame as pictured, there is no reason why you can't attach the back half of the French cleat directly to the plywood with brads/glue.
http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects9.htm
I've got some of the racks left over ... for a small price. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/4/07
"Lee Michaels" wrote:.

EPOXY.
A French cleat, some epoxy, it's time for a beer.
Lew

i made some french cleats out of 1/4" clear plexiglass to hang glass objects on the wall where i didn't want to see them.
regards, charlie http://glassartists.org/chaniarts