Spent a couple Days with Roy

I spent a couple days with Roy Underhill of The Woodwright's Shop starting Thursday evening and running through Friday and Saturday. Roy came to my woodworking club, Northeastern Woodworkers Association, and did a presentation at the club meeting on Thursday evening. It was a great presentation that left me grinning all night! In addition to passing around and discussing various tools and projects he told many amusing stories. Taking a light hearted shot at the Normites was part of the show too... as the cause of global warming and having Windsor Chair Machines into which they put raw materials on one side and get a finished chair out the other. Also, talked about how there is no magazine for 'rough' woodworking but there is one for 'fine' woodworking. "Woodworking beyond the Norm" came up too. ;~)
Friday morning started out with a demonstration on felling a tree and hewing it into a timber of rectangular profile. The tree was firmly rooted on the stage by two "elves" which we were instructed to ignore (see ABPW). This was pretty exciting as chips were flying about 30 feet into the audience... the elves were REALLY excited. Axes, adze, broad axe, German hewing axe, and chalk line use were used in demonstrating both English and German methods of hewing.
After the hewing, Roy moved on to using a shaving horse, draw knife, spoke shave, and planes to prep stock for window sash. The sash demo included dimensioning the stock, the various types of planes, gauges, chisels, and fixtures used to make sash. There were also joinery demos that included through dovetails--that went together the first time without any glue and fit tightly.
Saturday morning involved demonstrations of novelty and puzzle woodworking. Roy showed a wonderful chess set that had a theme of traditional tools vs. power tools. The set wasn't finished in that the board was not glued up and finished and not all the pieces were made. See ABPW for a photo. Friday Roy had welcomed folks to bring in and show things they did with traditional woodworking methodologies. I brought my "treatise on dovetails" samples (the ones I posted on ABPW a few months ago). He was very complementary in describing them as "fine work" and asked if they could be passed around. The feedback was great! ;~)
Much of Saturday afternoon was spent on turning with a spring pole lathe. He showed a set up for spindle turning, another for bowl turning, and yet a third for thin spindle turning the included the use of a steady rest. See ABPW for a photo of the steady rest set up. Part of Saturday's presentation included photographs from various Woodwright's shows, trips related to the show, and photos of early restoration work at Colonial Williamsburg (CW).
Roy surprised me when I presented him with a quiz that I figured he couldn't answer. Back in 1987 he autographed three of his books for me. Both of us worked for CW at the time... He wrote in one book "To John, Survivor of the 'Summer of the Blonde!' I showed him the autograph and asked him "Who's the blonde?" With only the briefest of hesitation he responded with the name of the woman--my roommate at the time and one of Roy's wife's good friends. I commented that I was very surprised that he remembered and he responded that somethings you cannot forget. ;~)
It was a great couple of days and fond memories of my days at CW filled my head. I've always felt that my life was richer for having known Roy at CW and to have this recent opportunity reinforced those feelings. He is a serious student of traditional woodworking but also knows how to have a good time. It was quite amusing to hear him poke fun at himself as a "TV woodworker" who had guys from a dozen other woodworking related TV shows, armed with Stanley 45s, gunning for him. There's a close up of a Woodwright's Shop t-shirt on ABPW too.
Roy will also be at the NWA Woodworkers Showcase the last weekend of March 2006 in Saratoga Springs, NY. Come see him for a wonderful experience.
John
John Grossbohlin wrote:

Nice post, John. Sounds like a fun time. Are you planning on going to the Saratoga Springs show? I might be driving up with a friend for one of the days.

Shoulda told him to bring the blonde. ;-)

Indeed it was a good post. What day do you think you'll be at the show in Saratoga Springs? I might try to make it over, but don't know what my schedule looks like yet.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
<<He wrote in one book "To John, Survivor of the 'Summer of the Blonde!' I showed him the autograph and asked him "Who's the blonde?" With only the briefest of hesitation he responded with the name of the woman--my roommate at the time and one of Roy's wife's good friends.>>
He remembered the blonde, but did he remember you?
Lee

I plan to be at the show both days... wearing my name tag as I'll be spending time working in the Toy Factory. The Mid-Hudson contingent of NWA is manning the Toy Factory this year.
In response to one question posted here, during our discussions Roy and I certainly had a number of shared memories about shared events and people. Whether he specifically remembered me after 19 years... I doubt it and didn't expect it. Between CW, the Woodwright's Shop, and other activities he's met millions of people in that period! I'd been to his house to pick up/drop off kids with my roommate and he'd been to mine too but there were a lot of other people present at my place. The connection was Roy's wife's and my roommate's relationship. Roy and I were peripheral players and judging by how well I remember my wife's friends... ;~)
John
<snip>and

Tom

<snip>

I was hoping for something in short shorts <wink, nudge, wink> Thanks, Tom

For something close to that go to http://feeds.feedburner.com/FrenchMaidTV
This came up at the seminar too. ;~)