Speeding up the aging clock on walnut

I have to repair some veneer, and new walnut looks purple when put next to the old stuff, which is a mellow, yellowish brown. Just wondering about any fuming processes that might work, and how deeply they might penetrate, since everything will have to be sanded together when done. Blowing cigar smoke doesn't work fast enough.

Reply to
BUB 209

Maybe you need a stronger cigar. ;)

Reply to
Saudade

Lye does a good job on "aging" some woods. I've personally used it quite a bit on pine, and I've seen several posts on the "wreck" recommending its use on cherry. Ammonia does a good job on oak, and other woods with a high tannin content.

I've seen - although never tried - using a blowlamp to simulate aging. This was in connection with faking "antique" walnut gun butts.

UV is one of the main contributors to the acceleration of the aging process along with oxidisation. New pine certainly takes a suntan, but new mahogany fades to the more yellow colour you mention. Give it a suntan?

Do some experimenting (on scrap - not on your project) and let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Frank

Reply to
Frank McVey

I'll give the lye a trye. Have any clue on how to administer it?>

Reply to
BUB 209