Speed-Bloc Sander - Porter Cable 330

Is this still the best 1/4 sheet sander out there? I like the 1/4 sheet to get closer into corners when necessary.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Jay Pique wrote: > Is this still the best 1/4 sheet sander out there? I like the 1/4 > sheet to get closer into corners when necessary.

After you have used a Fein detail sander, I doubt you will ever go back to a 1/4 sheet device.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I have a Fein. Great detail sander and does a lot of other things, but it isn't a sander for an AREA. I would be concerned that it would create a "texture" change if it was used in place of a 1/4 sheet sander. And yes, Jay, as I have heard the 330 is still the standard bearer. I think I have seen some with dust collection that may be of interest. I have a 330, but I don't find myself using it often. The random orbitals are so convenient and have dust collection. I only use it when I have to get into corners and want to maintain the consistancy of the sanded area. If I have to do some agressive sanding in a corner, I would reach for the Fein.

By the way, Jay, how is the horizontal sander doing?

Reply to
eganders

Agreed, that's why it matches up with a ROS so well.

I don't understand.

There are a wide assortment of grits available for either a ROS or a Fein.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

| Jay Pique wrote: | > Is this still the best 1/4 sheet sander out there? I like the

1/4 | > sheet to get closer into corners when necessary. | | After you have used a Fein detail sander, I doubt you will ever go | back to a 1/4 sheet device.

Maybe, maybe not. I have both; but use the SpeedBloc nearly all of the time.

I will say, though, that when I need the Fein, it's usually a situation where it's _the_ tool for the job.

Morris Dovey

You mean the granite surface plate attached to a concrete vibrator?! That's a blast from the past! I haven't put that plan into action, although I do use the granite/abrasive combo w/o the vibration to sharpen tools and sand smaller pieces.

I still want to get a nice long granite plate too - say 10' in length. I could run a strip of sandpaper down it, clamp a fence over it and clean up edges off of the jointer in a few strokes. Dead straight, and provides a better gluing surface than even a sharp handplane. In the unstable world of wood, the permanence of granite is very appealing to me.

JP

******************************* Flat, straight and square.
Reply to
Jay Pique

The SpeedBloc will almost give a ROS a run for its money.

Reply to
Leon

I had one that was 16 years old and quit running. I bought another in November of last year with out hesitation.

Reply to
Leon

Thanks to leon, I have had two speed-blocs for years. Both of them get a lot of use.

Reply to
John

Neener, neener! Mine went over thirty years before I had to replace the cord. I had the eccentric replaced at the same time and I think it'll outlast me now.

Morris Dovey

Geez, how can you possibly defend a piece of shit that won't even last

17 years?
Reply to
LRod