specs wanted for HF 2hp DC

inlet size? outlet size? impellar size?
I didn't bring it to work with me today, but I'm positive the inlet and outlet are both five inches. I'm looking around for decent five-inch pipe for the main run.
Never measured the impeller.
yeah, i tried that
dont see the impeller size and i dont believe the inlet and outlet numbers
i believe there is 2 4" inlets, but i'm wondering what size the main inlet is.. assuming the 2x4" fixture can be removed.
On 17 Dec 2004 20:55:41 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comEDY (Tom) wrote:

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 14:34:47 -0700, nospam snipped-for-privacy@mesanetworks.net wrote:

5"
On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 14:34:47 -0700, nospam snipped-for-privacy@mesanetworks.net wrote:

it's a 5" inlet, to the impeller... no idea what the measurements of the impeller is, but it looks like they could have used a larger one if they wanted to.. the DC comes with a Y that goes on the 5" side and gives you 2 4" connections.. I moved the Y to the top of my cyclone...
On 17 Dec 2004 20:55:41 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comEDY (Tom) wrote:

thanks, Tom.. i thought I was going to have to go find that for him.. *g*
For a fact:
Inlet Y is two 4" Remove the plastic inlet Y and you have a single 5" The impellar is 10" across. There does appear to be room for a larger one, likely 12" I took a couple of photos when I assembled mine and posted them on woodcentral.
http://alan.firebin.net/images/hf_dust_impellar.jpg
thanks!
presumably the outlet is also 5"
so compared to other makes the 5" inlet is smallish
hmmm.. so maybe a new inlet could be crafted to be 6"
making the impeller 11 or 12" might be more than i can accomplish

I haven't been out to that dust collection website for a while, but one thing I do remember is that he said most DC's, including the one we're talking about, have max efficiency with a five-inch pipe. A six-inch opening is too big, and if I remember correctly you end up with the same result as you would with four-inch.
I could be wrong about that, so if anyone feels like jumping in and yelling "BUZZZZZ! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!", feel free. If you're into that sort of thing.
Changing the intake size to 6" will be useless, since the exhaust size is still 5". This is also true with the Jet 1200 DC. The intake is 6", but the exhaust is only 5". Locally, the only 1200 cfm DC that has a matched intake/exhaust is the Delta, with 6" for both.
Rick
rshelton wrote:

size
has
The outlet is initially square and larger than the circle the adapter changes too. Some handy sheetmetal work and you could end up with a 6" outlet.
Alan

IMHO, if you're going to build a high tech hot rod, you don't start with a Yugo.. The HF DC is great for what it IS.. a cheap DC for a reasonable price... by the time you customize the ports and other specs, you've bought a better one with your time and expense..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing