specialized or custom router bits

Is there a place that will make custom router bits? Or what company or online shop has a big selection of bits?

Reply to
Grant

Actually what I am looking for is a chamfer bit that has the bearing on the inside and can handle up to 3/4" thickness. I intend to put in in my router table and with a template chamfer panels of foam that have a variable thickness, so that no matter what the thickness the edge has a 45 degree chamfer along the entire panel.

Reply to
Grant

|Actually what I am looking for is a chamfer bit that has the bearing on the |inside and can handle up to 3/4" thickness. I intend to put in in my router |table and with a template chamfer panels of foam that have a variable |thickness, so that no matter what the thickness the edge has a 45 degree |chamfer along the entire panel.

I think you're asking for a bit with the bearing on the shaft rather than the pointy end, but maybe not.

If not:

yes, then you might buy one of these anyway and slip a 1/4" ID bearing on the shaft. It will not fit tight against the bottom of the cutter, however, as they put a substantial fillet on that end. |

Reply to
Wes Stewart

Ridge Carbide Tools.

Edwin Pawlowski

3/4".
Reply to
Grant

Thanks I emailed them. I guess what I'm looking for is called a "Top Bearing" router bit. But online I still cannot find a stock 45 degree chamfer.

Reply to
Grant

I'm not sure I understand why the one you rejected won't work Grant. If you're routing free had, then it would work if you're gliding the router along the top surface of the material. If you're using a router table, then it would work equally well if you route with the piece upside down. In fact, with a table you don't even need the bearing.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Any reason you can't use a guide bushing?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Yes, there at least two.

One make router bits that look typical router bits. These are $pendy.

The others use something like the Trend router bit with the replaceable wing cutter. The knife part of these is a flat carbide sheet, held in a re-usable holder. Any toolmaker that can grind knife tooling in carbide can make up cutters for these. You can find one in a decent-sized city and the price is more reasonable.

However you have to have a pretty weird shape in mind before you can't already get it off the shelf.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Impossible... to have top bearing on a chamfer bit.

This is the largest company in the US selling bits:

will f> Thanks I emailed them. I guess what I'm looking for is called a "Top

Reply to
Pat Barber

Why ? I've never used it as such, but I've a set of demountable tooling here where I can stack assorted cutters and bearings in whatever order I like. Top bearing / bottom bearing, I can stack them either way.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

not impossible, but kinda pointless...

Reply to
bridger

What I want to do is use the bit in a router table. With the bearing below the cutter I can run my template along the bearing while my foam piece attaced to the template which has a varying thickness throughout the piece is on top of the template. This way I can give a roundish piece that has varying thickness a 45 degree chamfer around the entire piece.

Reply to
Grant

Can you explain? I repsonded to Mike above in more detail what I need to do.

"J. Clarke" wrote

Reply to
Grant

I will doing foam pieces that have a varying thickness throughout the entire piece. For me it is not pointless.

wrote

Reply to
Grant

"Pat Barber" wrote > Impossible... to have top bearing on a chamfer bit.

is it?

Grant

A guide bushing pretty much does the same thing as a bearing but is attached to the router base instead of the bit.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Reply to
Pat Barber

I should have said "pointless" not impossible. The bits you pointed to are NOT the bits you asked about(chamfer) in your first post. Many bits have top bearing but in the case of chamfer bit, a bearing would have no place or use.

Grant wrote:

Pat Barber

let's see if we can make this word picture make sense.

you want to bevel the top of a slab of foam on the router table. the slab is face up. the slab is of varying thickness. the start point of the bevel is a constant distance from the table top, but the end point of the bevel will vary with the thickness of the slab. the width of the bevel will vary.

you want to follow the edge with a bearing. are the edges straight or curved? if they are straight, use a fence. if they are curved, a bearing or bushing or a following pin will work.

it sounds like the chamfer bit will need to be inverted- the narrow end at the shank, the wide end at the tip, like a dovetail bit.

do I have this picture right?

Reply to
bridger