specialized or custom router bits

Page 1 of 2
Is there a place that will make custom router bits? Or what company or online shop has a big selection of bits?
Actually what I am looking for is a chamfer bit that has the bearing on the inside and can handle up to 3/4" thickness. I intend to put in in my router table and with a template chamfer panels of foam that have a variable thickness, so that no matter what the thickness the edge has a 45 degree chamfer along the entire panel.
|Actually what I am looking for is a chamfer bit that has the bearing on the |inside and can handle up to 3/4" thickness. I intend to put in in my router |table and with a template chamfer panels of foam that have a variable |thickness, so that no matter what the thickness the edge has a 45 degree |chamfer along the entire panel.
I think you're asking for a bit with the bearing on the shaft rather than the pointy end, but maybe not.
If not:
http://www.routerbits.com/cgi-routerbits/sr.cgi?1090986820_3794+33
If yes, then you might buy one of these anyway and slip a 1/4" ID bearing on the shaft. It will not fit tight against the bottom of the cutter, however, as they put a substantial fillet on that end. |

Like that but with the bearing on the other side. And a cutting depth of 3/4".
It is looking like it might be best to make a setup that holds the router above a table. That way I could just use stock Chamfer bits.
Thanks for all the input!

the
router

Ridge Carbide Tools. www.ridgecarbidetool.com
Thanks I emailed them. I guess what I'm looking for is called a "Top Bearing" router bit. But online I still cannot find a stock 45 degree chamfer.

I'm not sure I understand why the one you rejected won't work Grant. If you're routing free had, then it would work if you're gliding the router along the top surface of the material. If you're using a router table, then it would work equally well if you route with the piece upside down. In fact, with a table you don't even need the bearing.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com

then
Grant wrote:

Any reason you can't use a guide bushing?
--
--John
Can you explain? I repsonded to Mike above in more detail what I need to do.

Grant wrote:

A guide bushing pretty much does the same thing as a bearing but is attached to the router base instead of the bit.
<http://shop.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/product_family.asp?family 5Fid92&giftlse&mscssid54C0C604F8D47E19C6D6C97EAE5345> <http://shop.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/product_family.asp?family 5FidH55&giftlse&mscssid54C0C604F8D47E19C6D6C97EAE5345> <http://shop.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/product_family.asp?family_id 18&mscssid54C0C604F8D47E19C6D6C97EAE5345&Giftlse&GiftID=>

--
--John
Impossible... to have top bearing on a chamfer bit.
Grant wrote:

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 20:34:22 GMT, Pat Barber
Why ? I've never used it as such, but I've a set of demountable tooling here where I can stack assorted cutters and bearings in whatever order I like. Top bearing / bottom bearing, I can stack them either way.
--
Smert' spamionam

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 20:34:22 GMT, Pat Barber
not impossible, but kinda pointless...

I will doing foam pieces that have a varying thickness throughout the entire piece. For me it is not pointless.

let's see if we can make this word picture make sense.
you want to bevel the top of a slab of foam on the router table. the slab is face up. the slab is of varying thickness. the start point of the bevel is a constant distance from the table top, but the end point of the bevel will vary with the thickness of the slab. the width of the bevel will vary.
you want to follow the edge with a bearing. are the edges straight or curved? if they are straight, use a fence. if they are curved, a bearing or bushing or a following pin will work.
it sounds like the chamfer bit will need to be inverted- the narrow end at the shank, the wide end at the tip, like a dovetail bit.
do I have this picture right?
That was what I should have said... Very little is impossible.
snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote:

top bearing on a chamfer bit.
is it? http://www.infinitytools.com/catalog2/CatalogPage.php?cat_id241&pageno=f:skin2:topbearing
I should have said "pointless" not impossible. The bits you pointed to are NOT the bits you asked about(chamfer) in your first post. Many bits have top bearing but in the case of chamfer bit, a bearing would have no place or use.