Special replacement handles

I have a special wood chisel that has a wooden handle with special leather washers. I tried to make one and there was no problem with the wood part, but the leather mushroomed after onlt a few blows and fell off. So, just how did they make those tools?
On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 18:23:25 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@mail.localnet.com (David Smith) wrote:

If you're having toughness problems, use rawhide instead of leather. If you're really stuck, try dog chews from a petshop.
Leather ought to work - but it needs to be good stuff, well tanned, and fitted accurately so that there's no slop. Leather that can move will soon wear out by "fretting" back and forth.
--
Smert' spamionam