Special replacement handles

I have a special wood chisel that has a wooden handle with special leather washers. I tried to make one and there was no problem with the wood part, but the leather mushroomed after onlt a few blows and fell off. So, just how did they make those tools?

Reply to
David Smith

If you're having toughness problems, use rawhide instead of leather. If you're really stuck, try dog chews from a petshop.

Leather ought to work - but it needs to be good stuff, well tanned, and fitted accurately so that there's no slop. Leather that can move will soon wear out by "fretting" back and forth.

Reply to
Andy Dingley