Speaking of T111...

I'm installing some on a cantilevered-beam, flat roofed "ultramodern" house from the 1950's. The original siding was similar to T-111 but the top layer of fir veneer was smooth sanded. The stuff you get now has a rough-bandsawn finish and looks a LOT buttuglier than the original did, besides not matching. I smoothed the top layer using a minigrinder with 60 grit discs then beltsanding. I did 3 sheets and then it was noon. I have never been covered with a thick layer of wood dust even on the back of my jeans before. At the shop run by the two brothers, brother #1 suggested cutting a sheet in half, running the halves through their 42" sander, then biscuit joining the two halves back together. Brother #2 said why not just dado some grooves in some 5/8" ACX? If I can't find a source with smooth T111, which is unlikely, or anyplace that has a 48" sander, brother #2's idea is the one that sounds best.

Reply to
BUB 209

Its T1-11, which stands for Texture 1-11. What you need to look for is APA Rated Siding, T1-11 is just one style of it. You can pick from a variety of textures and groove patterns/types/spacing and the sheets can be ordered in 4x8,9, or 10ft lengths. You'll probably have to order it through your local lumberyard. They can help you get what your looking for and chances are it may only take a few days to get it in. Second option is contact a local contractor to see if he has any. IMHO, Either way it sure beats any of the idea's that have been presented earlier.

Reply to
KS

Thanks. I have some time, so I'll give it a shot, there are a few local lumberyards left in Chicago. Maybe an hour or so browsing the net could turn something up.

Reply to
BUB 209