Speaking of old tools (was under "belt sander")

Page 1 of 2
Here's a couple of vintage "early 60s" http://tinyurl.com/y2s4su2
Max

What are those black cord-like things coming out of the bottom?

That's what they used to deliver electricity through the metal case to the user.

Drain lines.
Max
And no reverse (>drainage) on the drill, either!
Sonny
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 12:36:37 -0700 (PDT), the infamous Sonny
And no intermediate giddyup/whoastops, either. They're click-on, click-off, period.
--
A book burrows into your life in a very profound way
because the experience of reading is not passive.
Larry Jaques wrote:

... 'til one reaches end of the rope and then they're off, period. :)

It may sound strange to some, but I've decided I can live with a few of them--no concern about whether the battery is charged and how much so, no concern about how much the next battery is going to cost or whether it will still be available when I need it, more power, lower cost. I have a wireless drill as well (a little on the wimpy side). Whether wireless is better "just depends".
Bill

Depends on what? It's only better if you NEED it. I've found there is very little where "I" need a cordless drill enough to make it's shortcomings acceptable. All those concerns listed by the poster above.
Anywhere a cord is not a serious drawback, a corded tool beats a cordless hands down - weight/power/performance/cost.

Funny, one gets a different impression at the "marketplace", huh. It took me a while to unlearn that I had to have cordless stuff.
Bill
*trim: list of cordless drill shortcomings*

I said the same thing... until I got my Makita. The corded drill still has its place, but it's usally in the drawer. The impact driver weighs less than the corded drill and drives screws better..
I tried a friend's Panasonic a few weeks ago, and understand why guys like it. It would sometimes purr like a Tribble.
Puckdropper

On 18 Apr 2010 02:57:38 GMT, Puckdropper

I've got/had Makita, Ryobi, and Craftsman. The Craftsman was the best over-all. But my corded drill is the same weight as the heaviest of the 3 and will throw me off the ladder if it gets jammed where none of the battery units is in any danger of affecting my balance or my wrist.
Just bought a new 1'2" Makita - corded.

A cord is always a drawback to me. Not serious but............. I have a bad habit of tripping over cords. That plus my cords are alive and inevitably tangle themselves. I like my cordless drills. I have more than I need but not as many as I want.
Max
"Max" wrote:

---------------------------------------- If you want an argument, you will have to change the subject.
Lew
On 4/17/2010 9:02 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I probably haven't been spending enough time browsing catalogs - but does anyone have suggestions for corded drills with clutches?
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

That would be a very limited selection. I have looked a number of times and could only find a single model that was much more than I wanted to pay. I bought an independent clutch that I chucked into my corded drill and used that for many years. It was something I picked up at a lumber yard. But my makita cordless is much better. So I tossed it.

Not, strictly speaking, a *drill* but a very useful screwdriver, the Milwaukee 6580-20 is great. I have one. http://www.mytoolstore.com/milwauke/6583-1.html But with my acquisition of the Makita 18V Li-ion cordless, I hardly ever use it.
Max
On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 08:14:27 -0600, the infamous "Max"

Corded drills have clutches now? L, I B.

141 or 142, Max? I'm looking at the 141 for the brute force lifetime of its 3AH batts.
--
A book burrows into your life in a very profound way
because the experience of reading is not passive.

18V: 1 - BDF452 (1.5AH) 1 - BHP451 (3AH) 1 - BTP 140 (3AH)
Max
On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 15:36:19 -0600, the infamous "Max"

OH, a wise guy, eh? <woop woop woop woop> Muchos Makitas, senior.
Do you find that you run out of battery a lot with the 452?