Speaking of looking for...

The other posting looking for drawer slides reminded me...
In the shop there's a cabinet that was salvaged from grandmother's kitchen...it's the old metal white-painted style. Good cabinet still, dated from about the late 40s I'm guessing; maybe even earlier, not sure.
Anyway, younger daughter happened to by house in WA that had same identical cabinets and was missing a couple of door handles so when she was here Dad was the soft-touch and I gave her the two off this one thinking "no problem to find something suitable for"...
Well, I spent quite a while yesterday and found only one 3-1/4" cabinet pull and it's the hammered metal style that isn't at all appropriate.
So, I'm looking for a 3-1/4" spacing cabinet pull in chrome or painted that wouldn't look too terribly out of place on these...anybody got any sources? Woodworkers Hardware was a strikeout as above; they're my usual suspects... :(

Lee Valley Tools has a big hardware section with pictures and listed dimensions. You might find what you need there.-

One of my favorites has a few but I think only the cable (adjustable) type will work for you.
http://www.dlawlesshardware.com/nonstandard5.html
Also, you are only 1/8" off on each end so maybe something could be modified to fit like slotting the holes. For instance a 3" spread that has a large foot would cover slotted holes. Or maybe add an eschucion or washer of some sort to hide the slotting.
SonomaProducts.com wrote:

Yeah, I saw those yesterday (they're one of the places w/ the hammered 3-1/4" that just are _too_ out of place) ...if push comes to shove, that could work.
I've thought of rigging up something similar from a short piece of rod and fabricate a thru holder like w/ a forged eyebolt or somesuch. I would prefer to not have to drill out the doors; the cover skins aren't terribly thick and would be prone to denting since there appears to be little if any support between them even at the mounting location.
When I gave them to her I never dreamed the spacing was so unique there weren't a zillion choices available...I just though Cyndi was enamored because these matched exactly not that her search was essentially totally fruitless (not that Dad could resist, anyway, even if knew ahead of time :) ).
Will any of these work?
http://www.thefind.com/hardware/info-pull-3.25%22-centers
-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA
"dpb" wrote in message
[...]
Nova wrote:

That did a fair job it appears...
Unfortunately, still the choices somewhat limited -- I got excited when I saw the 3-1/4 chromed wire pull until discovered they were giving the overall dimensions, not center-mount.
There's one from Hafele in SS at nearly $15/ea w/ month leadtime...that doesn't thrill much... :(
I'll keep digging; the SS wire pull would fit but would prefer a bow pull if could find it and obviously I'd take a less pricey version... :)
It did uncover a couple more sizable distributors that I'd not come across before that I'll certainly bookmark, though.
Thanks...

How about just taking a chainlink fence tie wire, bending into a "U" shape with the legs on 3.25" centers, put through the holes, and bend the ends over? Just 1/2 joking :)

Did you Google ?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: ...

Du-oh????
dpb wrote:

Woodworking group, if its for the shop why don't you just make a pull out of a scrap of hardwood?
John
Here are a few pulls: http://robinsonsantiques.com/drawer-pulls/drawer-pulls.htm
Sonny

Did you try searching for the metric equivalent?
RicodJour wrote: ...

Ayup...not much luck there, either...
This afternoon's project is to experiment w/ making a pull w/ a couple of eyebolts and a piece of 1/4" bright rod. I looked at a couple of 3" pulls and decided couldn't either bend or otherwise them likely w/ much success. I could use the escutcheon plate idea and mount the pull to it and the plate to the door but that's a fair amount of machining too...
I did get most of the repainting done yesterday though; looks pretty good. In its prior life before I salvaged it for the shop it had spent quite a while as the vet supplies cabinet out by the cattle chute. Over the years it got pretty badly "doctored" out there, primarily from the 'spurters' during dehorning.

I'm not familiar with what kind of pulls were/are on your cabinet, but when you mentioned 1/4" bright rod, it reminded me of pulls I've made. Might be too long for your cabinets, but these are easy to make for any utility cabinet and they look nice.
Twist a copper tube around a 1/2" pipe. Twist one way for the left side and twist the other way for the right side. http://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/5391619600/in/photostream /
Where the curves touch, flatten, then trim the ends. http://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/5391021797/in/photostream /
Drill holes and attach. http://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/5391635264/in/photostream /
Sonny
Sonny wrote:

Nicely done...and good idea. Mayhaps I've some old chrome tube laying around for something similar; hadn't thought of it as a starting material. A little easier to form.
The originals were just a chromed bow-pull type w/ an embossed backpainted design..."modern" in the 40s. Any number of similar in 3"/3-1/2"/4"/whatever, but haven't found a thing similar in 3-1/4" spacing so far.
My idea was to take the rod, bend it to bow using fairly large diameter pipe, straight an end section of 1/2" or so and capture it in the two eyes. I might try something similar as yours same idea w/ the tubing could flatten and mount solid as you did. Also gives idea that could grind flats on the ends and dispense w/ the eyes for the solid rod as well.
I'm sure will make something do...the wood pull somebody else mentioned is, of course, always possible but just seems out of place (mostly, I'm sure, because I remember/know what was there originally rather than anything else).
Very nice idea Sonny. I would sand the copper tubing so it shined bright copper then spray with clear so it wouldn't oxidize. I've done that when using copper fittings for file and chisel handles and such.
I made these handles years ago and they still shine nicely after 30 years of use and abuse:
http://jbstein.com/Flick/Handle2.jpg
http://jbstein.com/Flick/Handle.jpg
--
Jack