Speaking of clamps

Page 4 of 5
On 11/4/2015 9:20 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Certainly not a knowledgeable contributor but certainly a disruptive student.
On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 20:16:33 -0600

you think you get what you pay for
my bar clamps do great and i get more than what i pay for

You are preaching to the choir. I used pipes clamps for about 5 years, then the aluminum clamps for about 15. Noe the k-body style clamps. I'll stay with the k body clamps for daily use.
Leon wrote:

I think that is the "cause of dispute". If person A uses them (the "nice clamps") daily, she gets the benefit of the extra features daily. If person B uses them 3 times a year, then she enjoys the benefit 3 times a year. Person A pays much less, per use, than Person B, and so may enjoy her ownership of the nicer clamps more so than Person B, even though both are using the same clamps (in this example).

The cause of dispute is simply trolling. EC has never contributed anything of value to this usenet newsgroup, aside from poor grammar and sentence construction.
On 11/5/2015 7:55 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

I think also, he thinks he is happy with what he has yet in another thread he is considering a different type clamp from HF. I think that he is a predigest to any comment that is contradictory to his way of thinking. I dont't mind helping some one with a my seasoned prospective but to discount every one's views is rude.
On 11/5/2015 1:02 AM, Leon wrote:

I'm not sure that pipe clamps equates to bar clamps. I am thinking EC is referring to the heavy bar clamps with a pin that fixes the lower jaw, and a crank that tightens the moveable acme threaded jaw. They are definitely different than a pipe clamp. But still , IMHO, fall short compared to the K style clamps.
And the k style (not original bessey, unless you grind the punched down area off) can be a spreader. I have used my cabinet masters many times as a spreader. So I can confidently say they save me aggravation and saved the day.
My Cabinet masters were gotten on an amazing sale at Woodcraft online.. they announced it a week ahead, and I sat up waiting for the clock to tick, as I knew they would go fast. I think I paid on average 14 -16 a piece... I got 4 of the 24, 4 of the 36 and 4 of the 48...
I have bought a few besseys and a few woodcraft copies (don't buy them) they suck.. the heads twist... they look absolutely identical, except for the bar, but they are not. And it is not the bar that is twisting,its the head... POS
--
Jeff

On 11/5/2015 4:18 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Damn, I just saw where EC referred to a bar clamp as a pipe clamp. So, we are not referring to the superior beam style bar clamp.
--
Jeff

On 11/5/2015 3:20 PM, woodchucker wrote:

;~) Yeah, FWIW I call think of my pipe clamps as bar clamps too.

I've been tempted to buy other clamps on sale but decided it would be better to keep all the parallel clamps the same (Besseys). This keeps the work level when resting on the clamps and the accessories work on all the clamps.
On 11/5/2015 7:43 PM, krw wrote:

That is a good reason to stick with Bessey but if you don't mix "one" with another "one" it is generally not an issue with just the clamps. Use the same brand in pairs. If your clamps are on a work surface and you are mixing brands Besseys tend to be smaller. It is difficult to add a larger clamp with a higher bar if you start with Besseys.
On 11/5/2015 3:18 PM, woodchucker wrote:

That may be true but in another part of the thread IIRC he mentioned the pipe clamps.

Yes! That is why I went with Cabinet Master over the original Bessey K-Bodys. That and the moveable foot on the end, and the larger clamping surface. And now if you combine 2 clamps, to make a longer one, you have to remove one of the moveable heads so that it will not be in the way.

I got mine during the period when they had aluminum bodies on the screw end. BUT shortly after that Jorgensen dropped the aluminum and used steel. I found a place that was clearing out the aluminum styles and I got a heck of a deal, similar to yours. Then all the ones with aluminum heads began to break. With a life time warranty Jorgensen replaced all 12 of my aluminum heads with steel replacements.

I have 7 Bessey Revo K-Bodies. I am disappointed that they are not as durable as the Cabinet Masters. I have dropped both onto concrete floors and the Besseys always get battle wounds, not the Cabinet Masters. I am also disappointed that Bessey did not use a moveable foot. And as I have mentioned earlier my 2 Jet K-style clamps leave impressions on the project. And being truthful the Jets acme threads seem to be chrome plated and to not feel as smooth as the Bessey or Cabinet Masters.
On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 16:18:15 -0500

i had confused my terminology i have pipe clamps that i like for the consistency and low cost

do not think i have seen this type

i do like the idea of spreaders for the dual-purpose

not bad at all i keep a sharp eye at flea markets + swap meets + garbage sales i mean garage sales
i need to watch craigslist more for clamps

woodcraft probably just put their name on some junk it is the sirens of cheapness singing and drawing them into the rocks and or unwary customers which leads to mutually assured disappointment
short term gain long term loss

FYI, anything in the URL after the first question mark character is generally not part of the URL, but rather tracking information about the user who browsed to that URL (called query parameters).
<http://www.woodpeck.com/besseykbody.html
is sufficient and doesn't expose your browsing information to the rest of the world.
On 11/4/2015 10:26 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Ok, but it still take "me" to the correct place. Does that not work for you?

Ohhhhhhh. Gotcha. So does that only expose my browsing info for that site or some how every where I have been regardless of web site?

Usually it's an encoded version of the search query you used to get to that page. Generally appended by a site-specific search function (public search engines will use the referrer header which is standard vs. query parameters which are site specific).
On 11/4/2015 12:25 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

OK. Thanks
On 11/4/2015 10:26 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Interesting tip, Scott, thanks. Like "i" before "e" except after "c" it doesn't fly with a YouTube URL but still a great tip.
On 11/04/2015 8:28 AM, Leon wrote:

The Bessey's are nice, agreed, but I could never bring meself to spend that amount of money they wanted for 'em.
Of course, all the bar clamps are now outrageously priced, too, it seems; glad I acquired the collection I did when and how I did and don't do enough work to require more any longer...

The Bessey's have one huge advantage, which is that you can clamp things that aren't quite square, and two huge disadvantages, which are the cost and the fact that the sliding head won't stay where you put it.
I like to do a dry run on whatever I'm clamping, and I want the clamps to stay set whereever I've put them so all I need is a couple of turns of the handle when the real, "live glue" clamping is done. Can't do that with the Bessey's.
So I have two of them, for those rare occasions when I need to clamp something that's not square, and all the rest of my clamps are Jorgensens at 1/4 the price. Cheaper and work better, can't beat that.
John