Speaking of clamps

;~) Yeah, FWIW I call think of my pipe clamps as bar clamps too.

Reply to
Leon

That is a good reason to stick with Bessey but if you don't mix "one" with another "one" it is generally not an issue with just the clamps. Use the same brand in pairs. If your clamps are on a work surface and you are mixing brands Besseys tend to be smaller. It is difficult to add a larger clamp with a higher bar if you start with Besseys.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
Electric Comet

I would explain but you would argue. It's not worth wasting the time to explain to you anymore.

Reply to
Leon

these parts came in anti-static bag placed in foam layers and inside a box that box was wrapped with this stuff against cardboard that was press fit into a larger shipping box

so no peanuts bubble wrap or excelsior just air with the press fit cardboard and wrap holding the smaller box in place

there is that kind of stretch and who has not seen that stuff

this is different than anything i have seen

differences are that it does not stick to itself as much as that pallet wrap i think it is thicker it stretches far beyond pallet wrap it also returns to original size which pallet wrap does not do it is very clear i think technically speaking it has a refractive index very close to one it is almost like clear rubber

it is quite unusual to me and i have not seen it before

try to find some it is kind of amazing

Reply to
Electric Comet

i had confused my terminology i have pipe clamps that i like for the consistency and low cost

do not think i have seen this type

i do like the idea of spreaders for the dual-purpose

not bad at all i keep a sharp eye at flea markets + swap meets + garbage sales i mean garage sales

i need to watch craigslist more for clamps

woodcraft probably just put their name on some junk it is the sirens of cheapness singing and drawing them into the rocks and or unwary customers which leads to mutually assured disappointment

short term gain long term loss

Reply to
Electric Comet

you often miss the points here but it is ok everyone is different

the point is that the price for these clamps you are pushing is too high

Reply to
Electric Comet

i guess for halloween it would be ok but how do you explain creepy hands laying about at xmas time i like the idea of using the wrap i usually use a small vitreous pot or saucer

Reply to
Electric Comet

the pipes too or just the clamps also take note of the use of bar and pipe which are different made this mistake myself

Reply to
Electric Comet

I think if you made your comments more explanatory you might be taken more seriously. When you leave out your reasoning, like "I" can't justify paying that much for a clamp, or I can't afford that clamp, you would seem more reasonable and no one could argue with that. But when you leave out the details of you reasoning we can only take your comments at face value. Like you said, everyone is different and so are their points.

And I am not pushing anything, simply giving an actual personal users experience not a perceived what if scenario.

Reply to
Leon

Of course the pipes too. What good is one piece without the other?

You said pipe clamp. I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that you knew what you were talking about.

Reply to
krw

What is there to explain?

DerbyDad03

that trash could be treasure for some

throwing away perfectly good tools is not something i have seen often but would like to see often from others so i can grab them

Reply to
Electric Comet

Leon, in my experience, does not push much of anything. He shares his honestly held views and others take them or leave them. Having seen pictures of some of his work, I tend to at least consider what he has to say (same with a few others here). That's part of why my recent bandsaw choice went with spending a couple hundred more and got the Laguna. It wasn't based *just* on his opinion, but that led me to sink some more time into researching the Laguna.

I don't need any more clamps just now, and don't have any k-bodies (just a bunch of f-style), but the details in threads like this will be useful if/when I'm shopping again.

At my skill level, pipe clamps would probably be just fine. But I have a few around 4', and those things are heavy.

Reply to
Drew Lawson

If you have a pipe cutter and a hand threader, the pipe can still be useful. Black or galvy.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I highly doubt it. I dragged them around with me much too long as it was.

"Pipe clamp" and "perfectly good tool" doesn't belong in the same sentence.

Reply to
krw

For what? A boat anchor? All they were going to do is cost me more money when I moved.

Reply to
krw

+1

I'll probably pick up a few more, if I can ever get time to get to HD.

Reply to
krw

It would be rough to bend an iron or steel pipe in compression mode unless you used excessive force, or used cheap pipe.

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Cheap black pipe? The stuff *does* bend. Horrible clamps.

Reply to
krw