Speaking of clamps

Page 3 of 5

Leon, in my experience, does not push much of anything. He shares his honestly held views and others take them or leave them. Having seen pictures of some of his work, I tend to at least consider what he has to say (same with a few others here). That's part of why my recent bandsaw choice went with spending a couple hundred more and got the Laguna. It wasn't based *just* on his opinion, but that led me to sink some more time into researching the Laguna.
I don't need any more clamps just now, and don't have any k-bodies (just a bunch of f-style), but the details in threads like this will be useful if/when I'm shopping again.
At my skill level, pipe clamps would probably be just fine. But I have a few around 4', and those things are heavy.
--
Drew Lawson | What is an "Oprah"?
| -- Teal'c
On Fri, 6 Nov 2015 18:39:57 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@furrfu.invalid (Drew Lawson) wrote:

+1

I'll probably pick up a few more, if I can ever get time to get to HD.

On 11/4/2015 10:05 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

No need to be suspicious, they have been around and proven themselves long before you showed up.
On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 18:20:27 -0600

maybe so but i find the name funny and it is afterall just a clamp
i have looked at them in person they are nice but i had no intention of buying them
On 11/4/2015 8:12 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

If you have not used a K body type or others of similar type, you might be amazed at how easy they can make getting a nice square or flat glue up.
That said, there are many ways to achieve the same, but these do make it easier. But the price is weight. And if you are doing a light glue up, they may be a little too much. Again, there are many ways.. Even rubber, or wrapping.
nuff said.
--
Jeff

On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 21:31:00 -0500

have not used them my bar clamps do great tried and true

i a trying some new stretchy plastic wrap that i got recently it is amazing stuff
it was used in a shipment of some delicate electronics parts it is super stretchy and clear and i tried and could not break it i had never seen this before

It is called stretch wrap. It is a HD version of Seran Wrap. I'm surprised your delicate electronics were not wrapped in bubble wrap.

The currently popular practice is to stretch-wrap stuff to a cardboard backer, then put it in a box with bubble wrap or biodegradable peanuts or some shredded paper stuff I'd call "excelsior" except no-one knows that word now-a-days.
If you're getting a whole pallet of stuff, the boxes will be stacked on the pallet and then the whole mess wrapped with about 20 yards of stretch-wrap.
John
On 11/5/2015 9:15 AM, John McCoy wrote:

Many years ago we used the pallet stretch wrap daily. Actually you can buy 6" wide rolls at HD. We always used the 20 or so inch rolls.
On 11/5/2015 12:36 PM, Leon wrote:

That stuff is worth its weight in gold. Great for many purposes and so light weight and easy to apply. Snip, snip or a careful slice and it's gone.
Whenever I head to the lumber yard to stock up for a project I have a six inch roll with me. Bunch of trim boards? Stack 'em, wrap 'em, haul 'em and when you get them set near point of use just snip 'em and they're stacked right where you want them. Much better than trying to wrangle a stack of 10' long pick up sticks through a doorway<g>
On Thursday, November 5, 2015 at 1:36:10 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

I always have a roll of that stuff handy. I've used it to bundle up loose items while moving the girls from college apartment to college apartment, like that pole lamp that can be broken down into small sections or the bed rails, etc.
It's great for keeping the lids on storage containers that are just a bit too full and for keeping drawers/doors closed while moving furniture.
I used to use it to water proof extension cord connections for Halloween and Christmas decorations, but I tried a different method last weekend and it worked great:
Plug the device(s) into the extension cord, then fold the wires so that the device cord touches the extension cord wire. (basically, make an inverted U) Now slip a vinyl or latex glove over the plug/socket end and tightly secure the open end around the cords with a zip tie.
As long as it positioned so that the water doesn't run towards the open end of the glove, the plug/socket connection will stay completely dry.
Thanks for some tips. I have half a box of 12" wide rolls. I used a roll on each pallet of targets I sent out. Not only was it binding to the load but bound it to the pallet as well.
Oh the pallets had about 900 pounds of cut steel.
Martin
On 11/5/2015 1:34 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 11:34:47 -0800 (PST)

i guess for halloween it would be ok but how do you explain creepy hands laying about at xmas time i like the idea of using the wrap i usually use a small vitreous pot or saucer
On Friday, November 6, 2015 at 12:00:47 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:

What is there to explain?
https://i0.wp.com/i170.photobucket.com/albums/u266/thekoolaidmom/EvilSanta400.jpg
On Fri, 6 Nov 2015 10:17:31 -0800 (PST)

well okay not the traditional route
On 11/5/2015 9:15 AM, John McCoy wrote:

Sure they do, John. It's the state motto of New York
Excelsior = Ever Upward (which will certainly be the case if you drop a match in the excelsior you're speaking of<g>)
On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 15:15:51 -0000 (UTC)

these parts came in anti-static bag placed in foam layers and inside a box that box was wrapped with this stuff against cardboard that was press fit into a larger shipping box
so no peanuts bubble wrap or excelsior just air with the press fit cardboard and wrap holding the smaller box in place

there is that kind of stretch and who has not seen that stuff
this is different than anything i have seen
differences are that it does not stick to itself as much as that pallet wrap i think it is thicker it stretches far beyond pallet wrap it also returns to original size which pallet wrap does not do it is very clear i think technically speaking it has a refractive index very close to one it is almost like clear rubber
it is quite unusual to me and i have not seen it before
try to find some it is kind of amazing
On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 00:10:22 -0600

why surprised
On 11/6/2015 10:16 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

I would explain but you would argue. It's not worth wasting the time to explain to you anymore.
"Electric Comet" wrote:

It would appear you choose to play the roll of basic s**t disturber rather than knowledgeable contributor.
Lew