Spax Screws

Page 2 of 2
Dave:
Actually, a popular myth. Not sure how it got started, but it sure does make the rounds. See my response to Michael Daly above.
Jim Ray, President McFeely's Square Drive Screws www.mcfeelys.com

Okay, but are there not two versions, one tapered, one not?
djb
--
Was that last sig line lame or what?

Dave:
I can't say that every Square Drive screw ever made has been made according to the IFI standard, but those that are made to the standard have tapered sides. As I mentioned in my earlier posting, parallel sides make the screws almost impossible to manufacture because the punch that forms the recess becomes difficult (if not impossible) to extract. The slight taper provided in the IFI standard is virtually imperceptible, it's the key to Robertson's original patents, and it's the thing that makes the recess both functional (stick fit) and manufacturable. There are two versions only if the manufacturer doesn't know what the heck they are doing. I guess when it comes right down to it, there may be two versions: one that works and one that doesn't! ;-)
So friends, that is why it is important to deal with a supplier that stands behind their product. (And for what its worth, I can assure you, our Square Drive Screws have recesses with tapered sides!!!)
Jim Ray, President McFeely's Square Drive Screws www.mcfeelys.com

[snip]

Jim, you are way to helpful to be real. I just wanted to let you know that your knowledge and contributions to this group are greatly appreciated.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

Yeah - I was skeptical but the lil' buggers are nice. I keep a box of #8 by 1 1/2" around. And I don't bother with pilot holes.

Easy..
Hard... Don't think Spax brings anything to the table when it comes to screwing into the edge of anything. Think you'd still be doing pilot holes.

I'm most interested in the ability to dispense with the drilling of pilot holes. Would anyone care to do a bit of experimenting with a few 1.5 inch sixes and eights to see if the splitting issue is significant? Hmmm...maybe I should just break out the crowbar and buy a few myself!
JP ********************* Now accepting donations of Spax Screws.

I'm a confirmed McFeely's man now - 'cept for that one box of Spax (?spaxes? spaxies?).
C'mon sing along with me! "I'm a McFeely Man now, now. I'm a McFeely Man now, now. I'm a McFeely Man now, now. I'm a McFeely Man now, now.
Bangity, bang. Bangity, bang.
I'm a McFeely Man now, now!"
<To the tune of Sesame Street's I'm a Little Airplane>