sparks from router blade

I was just rounding the edges of end grain on a project, when I saw a few sparks coming off of the router blade. The wood is a tropical wood like teak. I had sanded the edge before I started routering. So it could be coming from a trace of sand or the wood.

Has any one else had a similiar experience?

Reply to
Al Holstein

Tue, Dec 11, 2007, 7:27pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@flash.net (Al=A0Holstein) doth query: Has any one else had a similiar experience?

Yep. But from homemade wood not imported. Apparently from hard wood, routing too fast, and applying too much pressure. Been quite while,don't recall what type of wood.

JOAT I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do them.

- Picasso

Reply to
J T

Got that once routing mdf. God only knows what's in that stuff.

jc

Reply to
Joe

This happens when you are splitting wood with an axe--if you do it after sundown when you can see them.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Would these be electrical flashes I wonder?

Static electricity and all that?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Gorman

I doubt it. Electrical sparks generally go from one object to another. These just fly out like a spark from a flint.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Thu, Dec 13, 2007, 8:40am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@below.net (Jeff=A0Gorman) doth queryeth: Would these be electrical flashes I wonder? Static electricity and all that?

Not electrical in my case, and I'd been routing for a few seconds, so seriously doubt static 'lectricity. Definitely saw the spark fly from the bit. However, it is possible that I was using a HSS bit, not carbide tipped, at the time. I only used HSS bits for a short period of time and now use only cabide tipped. Only had that happen the one time

- that I know of.

JOAT I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do them.

- Picasso

Reply to
J T

I was a using carbide tipped bit when I saw it. It was like described as a spark for a flint. Thanks to everyone for their responses.

Al

Reply to
Al Holstein

Maybe. Or embedded metal staples, barbed wire from eons ago, etc..

Reply to
Twayne

You can get this effect from breaking a Wintergreen Certs in half. It's a release of chemical bond energy in the form of light.

Reply to
Mark Witczak