Sparks?

Does anyone know why my Bostitch Framing Nailer (N88WWB) shoots out sparks every time I shoot a 3 1/4" nail? Is this defective, or is it just the way it is?
dave12345 wrote:

It's common. There are even warnings not to use framing nailers around flammable materials because of the occurrence.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Nova wrote:

Yup, sure been that way as long as I have been using them. I have never had any framing nailer that >didn't< spark.
Not sure at this point I would trust one the didn't throw off a good spark now and then.
(Just kidding)
Robert

Yes, they do that and its normal. I believe it is caused by the violent separation of the nail from the thin wire that hold the nails together. Also, make sure you place a few drops of oil down the air feed before each days use.
dave12345 wrote:

I see sparks occasionally when using my PC finish nailers and the nails are glued together.

I have seen sparks when using a regular hammer on framing nails. I strongly suspect it is the striker hitting the nail that creates the spark. My Senco finish nailer does this occasionally also.