Spanish cedar exterior door

In a recent This Old House episode, Spanish cedar was used to build new exterior doors. Being in New Orleans, I expected cypress might be used.
I am going to make a new door and am planning to use quarter sawn white oak. Is Spanish cedar something to consider using?
I will paint the door. I am using q.s. oak only because of its rot resistant qualities.
Is there any experience with Spanish cedar in this group?