Spanish cedar

I'm thinking of making a cigar humidor and my research notes that Spanish cedar seems to be the preferred lining used. I assume this wood has some special quality which makes it the choice to line the interior. Problem: I can't find no Spanish cedar in the UK. Anyone know of any alternatives? I can get Lebanon cedar but if that's the aromatic kind I don't think it would be good for the cigars. Any ideas?
FoggyTown
Wed, Jun 27, 2007, 12:10pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (FoggyTown) <snip> Problem: I can't find no Spanish cedar in the UK. <snip>
Didn't nobody teach you nothing? You used a double negative.
More likely you haven't looked in all the right places, or not asked the right questions. Me, I think I'd ask a wood importer if they could get some, or know where you can get some. They tell me that's called networking, it is. Quite awhile back I ran across a pallet with, I 'think', Spanish cedar. Sure seem to be anyway, but I never bothered to verify that - I don't smoke, and free wood is always popular wood. So, pallets could be a source.
JOAT If a man does his best, what else is there? - General George S. Patton

I believe Spanish Cedar is so overcut it's well-protected now. You might have better luck finding redwood (Sequoia sempervirens or s. gigantea), or maybe Western Red Cedar. Not too aromatic, unlike other cedars.

That;s because there isn't any. I get mine by sawing down big cigar boxes! If you find a UK source for it, I'd love to hear it.
Western Red Cedar (the lightweight one, Thuja plicata) is easy to find instead and a fair subsititute. As you note, it's not odorous (that would be bad) although it doesn't have the same humidity behaviour as the true Spanish cedar.
FoggyTown wrote:

1. Spanish cedar isn't a cedar - it is in the same family as mahoganies.
2. Surely, *someone* in the UK imports tropical american woods
3. If not, buy it in the US and have it mailed...you wouldn't need much. Here is a list of some suppliers... http://www.woodfinder.com/search.php?search=Spanish%20Cedar
--

dadiOH

I can try that. But I'm not sure what thickness is used for the lining of a humidor. Is it just like a 1mm veneer or something more substantial?
FoggyTown

Never made one so I don't know but I don't think a veneer would serve the purpose which is for the cigars to pick up aroma from the wood. I'd think 1/4" would work, here's one source... http://www.rockler.com/findit.cfm?page 2&cookietest=1
--

dadiOH

Find the old FWW article on building a humidor. It's a good read.

Bit thicker. It's not "veneered" in place as it's not usually bonded so closely to the carcase, in case of moisture movement. So it needs to be thick enough to be stiff on its own, maybe 3mm.